PB Landbased Snapper

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
bilby

PB Landbased Snapper

Post by bilby » Mon May 08, 2017 8:20 pm

I've been racking up a mixed bag of fishless trips lately, with some more successful sessions where I've picked up a decent pinky or two. Last week I managed a fish of 1.15kg, which was certainly nothing to complain about. But my main target has, so far, not shown up for me this year. Last night seemed to be yet another cold, windy session with little to show for it after a couple of hours in the weather. No bites, no touches - totally dead. In frustration, I made the decision, "I'll throw a bait under the edge of the wharf - you never know". In past years, this has met with some good results, sometimes hooking the odd fish, but more often than not, resulting in a fight to the end with the fish the victor in a tangle of pylons and whatever else was below. Anyway, it would make no difference, I told myself - tossing the lightly weighted bait into the danger zone. After a while, I texted my brother as the evening wore on in exasperation, "Nothing tonight - and doesn't look like anything is going to happen. Heading off soon" - or words to that effect.

Then it happened. Literally as I pressed "send", the butt of the rod tipped up in the air and I heard the baitrunner starting to whir into a high speed whine. I managed to grab the rod just in time as (for some reason) the lever clicked into gear of its own accord. The drag engaged and I was on, the 10ft graphite rod buckled over in my hands and was pinned in an upside down arc over the side of the decking ... the fish - I figured a decent mulloway, was heading straight under me at an unbelievable rate. I lost 50m of 30lb mono in what seemed like seconds, and the fish just kept going, and going, and going - the preset drag doing little to slow it down. I battled on for a few minutes, until I could feel the inevitable scrape of monofilament line on structure. Fortunately it was game test I had bought after losing so many fish in last year's season, and I figured I might have a chance if I held on ... but then, as quickly as the fight had started, it stopped dead. I couldn't move the line at all. Damn!! Snagged. And that was that.

I tried to move it with the rod tip, but the line was wrapped firmly around something and there were no more head shakes or movement of any kind. With the bail arm open, it was just limp line hanging in the water in the darkness.

I rang my brother and explained what had happened - he commiserated on the phone with me for 5 or ten minutes, then I said good night, and told him I'd let him know if anything else happened after breaking off the line and re-rigging.

I put the phone back in my pocket and started the process of locking up the drag and trying to free the line - figuring it would eventually snap. But then felt a slight sideways motion, and a brief slipping of the line, before it stopped again. I tried left and right, as you do when trying to free a rig from a snag - suddenly, without warning the line lurched free. For a moment I thought it was just a big stick or something left attached to the rig, but then the rod buckled over again - I was losing more line. After another big run, it was back to panic stations - I could feel more of the scraping, but managed desperately to hold on and regain line, hoping for the best. Eventually, I could see the sinker, but couldn't get the fish up in the water. Frustratingly, it stayed about 2 metres down for some time, the rod heavily curved over the edge of the wharf, moving left and right. Without warning, I saw colour - a long flash of the body in the light and something moving from under the structure and out into the river. In a few quick movements, I had it on top of the water - it looked decent, but not as long as I expected - a chunky mulloway I thought, but then, no - a massive snapper. In seconds it was in the net, and up on the wharf, the 40lb leader frayed but holding on, and a sizeable chunk of cunjevoi and mussels anchored to the bottom of the 2-hook rig.

I could hardly breathe for a few minutes. Later, back at my parents-in-law's place, I was able to properly measure and weight it - a personal best at 81cm and 7.6kg. Not a mulloway, but something of a life long fishing ambition realised, and in the most unlikely of circumstances.
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 7.35.01 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 6.25.38 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 6.25.16 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 6.25.16 pm.png (23.37 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Last edited by bilby on Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dezza68

Re: PB Snapper from a snag pile!

Post by dezza68 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Cracking fish and a great report.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Re: PB Landbased Snapper

Post by Bayrock » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Stunning catch. Very well done indeed

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Cracking fish and a great report. Well done mate

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Great report & cracking fish mate :a_goodjob:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 08, 2017 9:58 pm

That's an awesome LB big red mate! Congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bilby

Post by bilby » Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks for the replies! It's hard to explain the experience of catching something like this to anyone who hasn't fished land based from time to time. This was really one out of the box.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon May 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Great read and awesome fish I hope you rang your brother

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 pm

Cracker for an LB, especially at this time of year so close in.

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 am

Big beutiful snapper mate :) great job!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”