Land-based SP tactics around Avalon?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
LightninLopez

Land-based SP tactics around Avalon?

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 pm

G'day all,

Ok so me and a buddy have been really struggling to make land based SP fishing work. Come up with donuts the last couple of outings we've had (around Altona and Werribee).

Anyway, we were gonna have a crack around Avalon this weekend. Down around the college and foreshore. Never been there before, and annoyingly I think we'll get the run-out tide and low tide.

Targeting flatties as well as anything else that might happen to be around. We're prepared to wade out, etc. Thinking we'll be using reasonably heavy jig-heads (1/4 oz - 1/2 oz) for casting distance, with whatever SPs feel right at the time. I've also been experimenting with weedless rigs, so might try that. Fairly light setups otherwise. We really wanna make this style of fishing work, so any tips you got would be appreciated!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Land-based SP tactics around Avalon?

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm

what plastics are you guys going to use ?
and are you setup with the right gear (braided line with a decent amount of leader)

with sp fishing you have to predominantly fish areas that hold fish, otherwise your wasting your time..
and for flathead off the beach i would start by using the 1/4oz head (if your rod can handle it) and a plastic that has a curl tail on it, then cast and and just wind it back along the sand banks. and keep moving around.
i generally use gulps. The nemesis is a good plastic for this style of fishing. 4 inch version in neuclear chicken

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Yep, got a shimano catana w/matching reel, set up with 6lb braid. Using an 8lm mono leader of about the length of the rod. Been using different lures, but we got a whole variety incl. curl tails and paddle tails. In addition to Gulp we use Zman and Squidgies, but probably more Gulp than anything. Have used camo worm, sand worm as well as the minnow in nuclear chicken. Might give the nemesis a crack, I dont believe I've tried them.

Course the probelm is knowing where fish are... :-/ Spent a few hours at the werribee rock wall last week and then a guy turned up with snorkel and spear. He took a swim and then told us what we'd already figured out the hard way: no fish around.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm

all those plastics will work well. i think you need to find a different spot.
flathead are a lot more abundant in summer. you can still catch them, but they are usually a bit more deeper this time of the year.
i would concentrate on the pinkies if i were you.
try brighton breakwall at the very end , cast into the bay side from there. ive caught flathead and pinkies there on plastics many times.
im not familiar with werribee areas so i cant help you with locations.

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Uhuh. Thanks for the tips. Might try Brighton next if Avalon doesn't pan out. It's just a bit of a hike is all.

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:44 pm

We've fished around that area a bit and always picked up good flatties on Gulp Turtleback worms and Nemisis however we are in a bout. Saying that though, some spots were very close to shore. If you head around to the Geelong waterfront there are some great structures to fish from. Cunningham pier has given us flatties, salmon and trevally in the past.
You also have a good chance of pinkies on and after dusk. They can get pretty big.
Good luck, let us know how you go on your landbased plastic exploits.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 pm

flatties this time of year landbased is very hit and miss as for soft plastic give the squidy silver fox fish a go

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 pm

I've heard of a couple 'quiet' spots around Werribee area. You might get lucky around the Werribee South Boat Ramp but I wouldn't bank on it. The bream there won't take lures either.
Message me for some details.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Out the front of the college there it is very shallow for a long way out(about a meter deep). Quite weedy so you may hang up a lot with SPs. As previously mentioned flatties tend to move deeper at this time of year, or at least along the edges of drop offs, rather than sunnying themselves on the flats.

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 am

Yep, went out on the weekend. Really beautiful spot, but as you guys said, very weedy and shallow. No bites. At low tide, you could wade out for 100+ meters, and it'd only be up to your waist. You can see on google maps there are some rocks out from the point which are submerged at high tide. You could pretty easily wade out there, if you were so inclined. Maybe worth it in the warmer months, especially when you don't have to stuff around with waders, etc.

I think also an incoming tide, you'd probably be able to do OK on the SPs. A weedless rig would definitely help. There are quite a few rocky outcrops around the west side of point Lilas though, which makes lure fishing tricky. But we did see a salmon school come through, chased by dolphins and birds.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”