Maribyrnong River

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
solararrow94

Maribyrnong River

Post by solararrow94 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:05 am

Hi all,
The other night I went down to fish at high tide on Maribyrnong near Coode Island on Sims Rd and was just getting nibbles for a few hours. I want to go back there during the day to see if i can catch anything. Has anyone else been around here and caught anything? Between the rail bridge and Shepherds bridge was where I was.

azkay

Re: Maribyrnong River

Post by azkay » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am

Hi,

Don't fish the area too often, i'm sure other fisho's will be much more help. But the system does hold Bream, Mullet, Mulloway and Salmon/Pinkies (although i don't know where the last two will be in the system).
As a general rule, if you want to see whats there, fish the peak times (sunrise/sunset - tide changes). For the little nibbles, just drop you hook/bait size, see if you can tempt one on the hook to find out what they are. If your feeling adventurous just send out a big bait and let it sit there as well.

I live close to the river, a little further up. Seen plenty of people catch Bream and chase Jewies at night. Seen reports here of Salmon, Mullet and Pinkies caught too..
Az.

tommyfishunter

Post by tommyfishunter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:44 am

Those little nibbles you were getting we most likely from Tupong's (fresh water flathead).
I've found they annoy the f out of you during the day, but generally go away on sunset/after dark.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Very likely to be micro bream too

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm

They could be yellowfin gobys, they are all over the docklands/Yarra area and they steal my bait

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Is that the spot close to the shipping containers? Ive caught pinkies, bream, eels, 95cm mulloway and salmons ranging between 28cm to 35cm. Running sincker rig with bass yabbies snagged these guys for me. Try find a deep drop from casting n retreiving, you can feel how long it takes your sinker to hit the bottom. Deepest parts are great for preditors

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”