A day fishing--albert park lake , docklands and yarra river

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Yi1978

A day fishing--albert park lake , docklands and yarra river

Post by Yi1978 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 pm

asked my 10 yr old son anything in particular he would like to do this school holiday, the answer was catch a fresh water fish( as we never caught one before)
i thought our best bet would be sunrise at albert park lake so we arrived around 7am today, OMG so many birds. they were all following us and ate most of our berleys. First rod bend was 8am and can feel it's a pretty decent fish as there are no structures around apart from the weeds i played with the fish a bit, but after around 4 mins my size 2 circle hook came out :o_0: . It was most likely a carp as all the corns were gone on that hook. Second rod bend followed by about 30 mins, it was a bird diving down and took the bait. Then no more rod bends and we left at 11am. First time fish at this lake it may quite be the last . The amount of birds, joggers,cyclists and prams making it very difficult.
after lunch we went to docklands, a place we are familiar with. Caught a salmon and small pinkie missed a few bites. Still trying to work on those circle hooks. left docklands around 4.30pm heading to yarra bend park in the hope of catching our first fresh water fish.
First time fishing at yarra bend park, it was quiet and nice plus very easy bank access. Corn and worms as the baits, not even a touch within the first hour. We decided to have another 5 mins and i walked to one of my rods and check the bait.....oh....there is a fish on. My son quicked grabbed our landing net while i was trying to get the fish under control. It's a carp....we both yelled after it approched the river bank. we struggled a bit to get the fish into the net as we never had this kind of experience. Eventually my son got the net under and the fish went in, we lift the net together....high fives :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: ....it's a mirror carp 33cms . on the way back to home I can feel my son was really happy and i feel mission accomplished :fish22:
Attachments
20170706_183702.jpg
20170706_160517.jpg
20170706_142635.jpg
20170706_084654.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: A day fishing--albert park lake , docklands and yarra river

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Great report mate with some nice pics :thumbsup:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:17 am

A good day out with the lad, :thumbsup: cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Jay375

Post by Jay375 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am

Sounds like a fun day out, you covered a lot of ground, glad you got some action

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Awesome report well done to you & your son :a_goodjob:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Now thats a quality days fishing

Bm

Yi1978

Post by Yi1978 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Yes, it was a fun day fishing and we also feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful city to have lakes, river and saltwater so close to us.

Crummy Angler

Post by Crummy Angler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:18 pm

that's a great read. You should go back to Albert Park. They've released thousands of perch and cod fingerlings. They will be a decent catch one day... but not today...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Crummy Angler wrote:that's a great read. You should go back to Albert Park. They've released thousands of perch and cod fingerlings. They will be a decent catch one day... but not today...
Hey mate do you know when they released those fish? How long ago?

Crummy Angler

Post by Crummy Angler » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:05 pm

18,000 silver perch and 5,000 golden perch in feb 2018. No cods, my mistake. The fish are just fingerlings, a few grams each so don't get too excited just yet. However, they will provide great future opportunities for city folks to fish. The gov't invested really heavily in Albert Park as the lake and Karkarook are the only ones big and clean enough to support trout in the summer months. Yes, I said Albert Park is clean! The gov't has really cleaned up the lake. It was renowned for being a dump and anglers avoided it for many decades.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”