Wind and how it affects fishing

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Huxx9

Wind and how it affects fishing

Post by Huxx9 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:49 am

Fairly new to all of this and something I can't get my head around is the wind and how it affects fishing especially for us land based folk..

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what exactly it does or what I need to know as a land based fisherman..

Also what winds are ideal for certain spots around PPB

Thanks in advance!

Marty.A

Re: Wind and how it affects fishing

Post by Marty.A » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Cant speak for PPB but in the fresh as much as its a pain i fish on the side the wind is blowing into as the wave action on the shore tends to stir up the banks and wash in food and nutrients which attracts the fish.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Depends a lot on what you're fishing for and where. Onshore winds are good for snapper fishing in the bays because it brings them in closer. Offshore winds are better for surf fishing because they can flatten the swell a little and allow you to cast further. Offshore winds are more comfortable to fish in and are nice whenever casting distance is beneficial. Cross winds are just a pain in the arse in my experience and offer no real advantage.

What wind is best for a given spot depends a lot on what you want to do. For example a strong westerly at Mt Martha rocks is great for snapper but would make it unfishable if you were targeting squid; if you wanted to catch squid there you're better off waiting for very light winds or an easterly.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Huxx9

Post by Huxx9 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks!

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:09 am

Places like lake eldion its essential to have wind for the best fishing days.

The days you often struggle are the buitiful flat days....esp in the warmer months.

Bm

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:29 pm

SW!
Az.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 pm

For a land based abgler you prob want a wind comming from behind you because it helps your line stay straight out and easy to read bites. Besides that, i cant find any sure concepts to how wind affects the success of catching more fish. There is no wind under water, ive caught fish in all sorts of wind and despite anglers telling me that West is Best and East is Least i just think thats a whole heap of fishpoop. Get out there and have a go whatever wind it doesnt matter, if the fish is there they will party regardless of wind diretions.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Marty.A wrote:Cant speak for PPB but in the fresh as much as its a pain i fish on the side the wind is blowing into as the wave action on the shore tends to stir up the banks and wash in food and nutrients which attracts the fish.
That's part of the reason. The windward shore, specially on lakes, will also be the spot that wind blown food, insects etc, will accumulate on. The fish will follow the food.

Also, on lakes, the wind will also have an effect on water temperature in as much that the thermoclines will shift with the warmer water layers (surface) gradually being pushed into the windward shore and displacing the deeper, colder water layers. Trout fisherman will probably be more aware of this than most fishermen.

:water:

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Also, if your fishing mate has wind, stay up wind of him.

Much more pleasant.
:oops:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Wind effects fishing greatly depending on where and when. In Vic a W SW wind can be associated with a low pressure system prior to and at the start of a change when fishing for a lot of species there can be a hot bite.

If I have the opportunity I try and fish these calms before the storm.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”