Maribyrnong River

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
solararrow94

Maribyrnong River

Post by solararrow94 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

Hi all,

I live about 10 minutes from a certain spot on the Maribyrnong and was wondering if anyone had caught anything around here. I'm talking around Arundel Road in Keilor and behind the Airport?

Danny2001

Re: Maribyrnong River

Post by Danny2001 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:21 am

Carp and Bream is abundant in the Maribyrnong River.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 am

I often see cars parked next to the bridge there, I assume they are fishing as there is nothing else there. Don't know if they catch anything but I have seen carp being caught at brimbank park where the water crossing is. In the warmer months they are always visible feeding in the shallows. Just be careful of snakes as the weather warms up. Good luck!

JackBomback

Post by JackBomback » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm

KeenAds wrote:I often see cars parked next to the bridge there, I assume they are fishing as there is nothing else there. Don't know if they catch anything but I have seen carp being caught at brimbank park where the water crossing is. In the warmer months they are always visible feeding in the shallows. Just be careful of snakes as the weather warms up. Good luck!
Where exactly do you mean? I've never been there myself, I'm just looking on maps now to try to work out where the water crossing is.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Look up Brimbank park on google maps. Follow the river and you will see there are 2 crossings in the park. The first one is next to Garden Ave (off horse shoe bend) snd then there is another on about 500m down stream. Seen carp at both crossings people also leaving their catch to die on the bank's sometimes. Good luck let me know how you go.

JackBomback

Post by JackBomback » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am

KeenAds wrote:Look up Brimbank park on google maps. Follow the river and you will see there are 2 crossings in the park. The first one is next to Garden Ave (off horse shoe bend) snd then there is another on about 500m down stream. Seen carp at both crossings people also leaving their catch to die on the bank's sometimes. Good luck let me know how you go.
Thanks mate! I'll let you know how I get on.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I know this post is a few months old but any update? I was driving down Arundel rd this afternoon and thought I've seen enough cars parked (assuming they are fishing) that I thought it's time to see what is going on down there.

After a quick walk I found my self at the bank of the river directly underneath the bridge. There is what I would call an upper river and a little fall that goes into the lower river.

Any one fished in them and recommendation. I was planing to try it out on worms using running sinkers. Any thoughts ?

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Joker91 wrote:I know this post is a few months old but any update? I was driving down Arundel rd this afternoon and thought I've seen enough cars parked (assuming they are fishing) that I thought it's time to see what is going on down there.

After a quick walk I found my self at the bank of the river directly underneath the bridge. There is what I would call an upper river and a little fall that goes into the lower river.

Any one fished in them and recommendation. I was planing to try it out on worms using running sinkers. Any thoughts ?
That part of the river holds trout, redfin, carp and roach

carolk

Post by carolk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Further commenting to KeenAds message, I have recently been fishing on the banks of Wellington Lake in Gippsland and had to walk away, as some idiots left carp to rot right on the edge of the lake. Could not get closer than 100 m to the lake because of the awful smell.
I totally understand that some, consider carp a pest, but to destroy other people's pleasure of fishing (even for carp) is absolutely selfish and idiotic.
Take the rubbish (including dead/alive carp) away from public space and let others enjoy the surroundings.

sgreatwood

Post by sgreatwood » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

I've fished the upper side at Arundel Rd a couple of times. There are definitely carp in there, but be careful with rigs as there's also a lot of large rubbish in there (shopping trolleys, etc) and it's very easy to get snagged. If you're hungry and don't catch anything, there are about a million rabbits under and around the road bridge too.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”