Lorne Landbased

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Lorne Landbased

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 am

Guys,
Im headed down to Lorne for a small family weekend away this coming weekend.
Whats good to do around there apart from Erskine falls and the beach??
I might give lorne Pier a miss as im packing a small travel rod, anywhere else I can cast some lures out Locally.. most likely just pack some plastics and a few slugs..
Anything else kid friendly down that way?? Will have the car so happy to drive a bit here and there
Cheers

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Lorne Landbased

Post by Windknot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am

There's the Erskine River at Lorne. It's only fairly small, but the estuary does have a good population of bream in it. You can fish it between the swing bridge and the GOR bridge. It has good access on one side.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:35 am

If you can hang out til dusk the glow worms at grey river are pretty cool. Go to the info office and ask about it. It is a bit of a mozzie pit so take some rid.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:45 am

Windknot wrote:There's the Erskine River at Lorne. It's only fairly small, but the estuary does have a good population of bream in it. You can fish it between the swing bridge and the GOR bridge. It has good access on one side.
Thanks man, thats already on my list.. any lures that work well in that system? never fished that area before
cheers

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 am

benders wrote:If you can hang out til dusk the glow worms at grey river are pretty cool. Go to the info office and ask about it. It is a bit of a mozzie pit so take some rid.
i did read about that somewhere, supposedly in a cave?
will certainly try and make it down if i can..

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:Guys,
I might give lorne Pier a miss as im packing a small travel rod, anywhere else I can cast some lures out Locally.. most likely just pack some plastics and a few slugs..
Anything else kid friendly down that way?? Will have the car so happy to drive a bit here and there
Cheers
I'm off to Lorne in a few weeks myself. Been there for multiple holidays.

Depends what you like doing, and how far you are planning to drive too...and what age the kids are! :-D

In terms of fishing, I usually fish straight off the rocks about 5 km west of Lorne. You will see some nice rock ledges, but only a few have clear access to the ocean, as there is either rocks underwater to snag on, seaweed, or plainly not accessible from the road. Drive along and you will pick them out pretty easily. Usually catch some nice salmon along there with the occasional ray!

If you are into river/stream fishing, go to Cumberland River Holiday Park, which is right along the Cumberland River, walk through the caravan park, and follow the walking track north of the park and head towards Cumberland Falls. The view of the falls is really nice, and if you take some flies and some small spinner lures, you will catch some browns along there--and they are fiesty too!!

If you are into some nice rainforest walks, I would strongly recommend doing Cora Lynn Cascade walk, its amazing! Heaps of creek crossings, which are fairly easy and lots of tree ferns etc. If you are going with others and have more than one vehicle, I'd recommend dropping off a car at the Allenvale Mill carpark, and then driving the second car up to Blanket Leaf Picnic ground and walk down the Cora Lynn Cascades (don't walk up, because its pretty tiring for kids and adults!! :tongue: ) From Cora Lynn Cascades falls, you can then do Phantom Falls, Wonwonda Falls, the Canyon, and Henderson Falls, then head to the Allenvale carpark. This is a link to the map if you are interested....

Cora Lynn Cascade and the other waterfalls

Lorne is a nice place, and don't forget to get out in the surf too!! :thumbsup:

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Oh, and if you are doing any walks, including Erskine....LOOK OUT FOR SNAKES!! Had some friends who walked from Erskine down into Lorne the whole way, and came across four snakes in summer, so keep a sharp eye out!!

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:05 pm

[/quote]

Thanks man, thats already on my list.. any lures that work well in that system? never fished that area before
cheers[/quote]

I like shallow Cranka Cranks and Jackall Chubby Minnows myself, but any smallish lure would be worth a try.

You could always head back to Aireys Inlet and fish the Painkalac Creek too. It's probably the most reliable bream estuary in the area and there's well over a kilometer of estuary to fish.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Davidsch1 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Guys,
Cheers
I'm off to Lorne in a few weeks myself. Been there for multiple holidays.

Depends what you like doing, and how far you are planning to drive too...and what age the kids are! :-D

In terms of fishing, I usually fish straight off the rocks about 5 km west of Lorne. You will see some nice rock ledges, but only a few have clear access to the ocean, as there is either rocks underwater to snag on, seaweed, or plainly not accessible from the road. Drive along and you will pick them out pretty easily. Usually catch some nice salmon along there with the occasional ray!

If you are into river/stream fishing, go to Cumberland River Holiday Park, which is right along the Cumberland River, walk through the caravan park, and follow the walking track north of the park and head towards Cumberland Falls. The view of the falls is really nice, and if you take some flies and some small spinner lures, you will catch some browns along there--and they are fiesty too!!

If you are into some nice rainforest walks, I would strongly recommend doing Cora Lynn Cascade walk, its amazing! Heaps of creek crossings, which are fairly easy and lots of tree ferns etc. If you are going with others and have more than one vehicle, I'd recommend dropping off a car at the Allenvale Mill carpark, and then driving the second car up to Blanket Leaf Picnic ground and walk down the Cora Lynn Cascades (don't walk up, because its pretty tiring for kids and adults!! :tongue: ) From Cora Lynn Cascades falls, you can then do Phantom Falls, Wonwonda Falls, the Canyon, and Henderson Falls, then head to the Allenvale carpark. This is a link to the map if you are interested....

Cora Lynn Cascade and the other waterfalls

Lorne is a nice place, and don't forget to get out in the surf too!! :thumbsup:
Some great info there! :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Good luck mate.
Hope you have fun

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”