Quick report and some advice needed

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Quick report and some advice needed

Post by KeenAds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi all,

Well with christmas and new years behind us finally had some time to take my eight year old for a fish.

First up we hit the warmies last week flicking around soft plastics for the big donut. Could see small fish possibly mullet in the shallows near the rocks but no takers. Spent about 3 hours before the young fella got a massive birds nest tangle and had to leave, time ro re spool.

Then last Thursday we headed up to see some family in Ballarat, left melbourne early and hit up Lake Wendouree for a few hours for two tiny redfin the size of my hand.

Then the next day Friday we got up early and went down to St Helens in Geelong, fished from 6.30am to 10.00am for one toady. All seems very quiet at the moment despite using bearley and having a variety if baits on offer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for land based options to take my son in the hope of getting him on to some fish he can take home to eat. Based in Melbourne’s west and happy to travel up to 1.5 hours. Salt water preferred. He is busting my chops to go but not sure where to take him as I woukd love for him to catch something. I generally fish the surf but he can't handle the big rods yet.

Thanks all in advance
KeenAds

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Quick report and some advice needed

Post by CarlG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

When young fishos are involved, I always suggest Sorrento pier.
Fish on the lower pontoons, and fish straight down. There are a ton of leatheries, moolighters, all kinds hanging around under that pier.
Toilet close by, and a coffee kiosk at the ferry terminal on the pier.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm

I agree with Carl take him to fish off a pier. I love fishing off the pier at Barwon heads it's never crowded and you always catch fish kids love it. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm

If you burley up on the end of Fergerson pier williamstown you are in for the chance for bigish mullet ,bream and flathead. I normally just stick to soft plastics however I see a fair few people have success at the end with small baits.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:05 pm

mate they stock trout in a lot of lakes probably a bit late now cause they normal get caught pretty quickly stocking is around school holidays

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Cunningham pier , silver kgw,trevally.
Barwon river salmon Trev...
St Leonard's squid gars kgw

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

We are planning a day trip down to Portarlington in the next week so will give St Leonards a go and Barwon Heads as well.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Sheepwash Rd Barwon , toilets n plenty of shaded areas

KeenAds

Post by KeenAds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

bowl wrote:Sheepwash Rd Barwon , toilets n plenty of shaded areas
Thanks bowl.
Will the standard 2 hook paternosta rig be ok or should I be using something different? Also for bait, pipies, blue bait and squid are my usual is that ok or shoukd I use something different?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:22 pm

KeenAds wrote:Hi all,

Well with christmas and new years behind us finally had some time to take my eight year old for a fish.

First up we hit the warmies last week flicking around soft plastics for the big donut. Could see small fish possibly mullet in the shallows near the rocks but no takers. Spent about 3 hours before the young fella got a massive birds nest tangle and had to leave, time ro re spool.

Then last Thursday we headed up to see some family in Ballarat, left melbourne early and hit up Lake Wendouree for a few hours for two tiny redfin the size of my hand.

Then the next day Friday we got up early and went down to St Helens in Geelong, fished from 6.30am to 10.00am for one toady. All seems very quiet at the moment despite using bearley and having a variety if baits on offer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for land based options to take my son in the hope of getting him on to some fish he can take home to eat. Based in Melbourne’s west and happy to travel up to 1.5 hours. Salt water preferred. He is busting my chops to go but not sure where to take him as I woukd love for him to catch something. I generally fish the surf but he can't handle the big rods yet.

Thanks all in advance
KeenAds
My advice to you would be to go to a tackle shop near where your going to take the young fella get them to show you a few rigs, tips, techniques and best times be a sponge absorb that info then implement it. May cost you a little purchasing line, hooks, burley, bait etc but will help you on your way.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”