Sanctuary Lakes

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
solararrow94

Sanctuary Lakes

Post by solararrow94 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I've read up a little bit about this lake. I know it's shallow and weedy, but holds Bream and some Mullet. Has anyone fished it lately? I want to know if it's worth getting down there or stick with the Nong for Bream.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Sanctuary Lakes

Post by e.welch » Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm

yeah seb85 goes there the most i live in frankston so i cant help he has posted a few reports about there

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 am

solararrow94 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm
Hi all,

I've read up a little bit about this lake. I know it's shallow and weedy, but holds Bream and some Mullet. Has anyone fished it lately? I want to know if it's worth getting down there or stick with the Nong for Bream.
Yep, I live 5 mins drive from there. Have a read on my post about sanctuary lakes.
Not a lot of landbased access in comparison of the size, mostly private properties (expensive houses).
There's access spot here and there but limited, suitable more for bait fishing.
The best to lure fishing is around the 'entrance' as you can walk and cover more area than just a 'bridge spot'.
If you're a lure fisherman and love to walk, nong is better. But i find sanctuary lakes breams are easier to catch.
Generally the water is always clear there and the fishing is often good (sunrise/sunset)
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Davco19
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Davco19 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm

Since I live in Point Cook, a couple of weeks ago I decided to give Sanctuary Lakes a go. As mentioned above there are not many land based areas to fish from but I didn't really find this a problem. Found 4 areas to the side of bridges that were fairly easy to flick some plastics. Started off with 2.5" slim swimz with a 1/0 hook on a 1/16th but soon found this was too big for the mullets small mouths and was losing more than I caught so scaled down to 2" grubz on a size 2 and 1/20th which not only caught me a lot of mullet but also the bream seemed to like this approach as well. So after just over two weeks I've had 44 mullet up to 43cm 6 over 40cm and 22 bream up to 36cm. In fact 2 bream at 36cm. Happy days.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 pm

good job mate

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:36 am

Davco19 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Since I live in Point Cook, a couple of weeks ago I decided to give Sanctuary Lakes a go. As mentioned above there are not many land based areas to fish from but I didn't really find this a problem. Found 4 areas to the side of bridges that were fairly easy to flick some plastics. Started off with 2.5" slim swimz with a 1/0 hook on a 1/16th but soon found this was too big for the mullets small mouths and was losing more than I caught so scaled down to 2" grubz on a size 2 and 1/20th which not only caught me a lot of mullet but also the bream seemed to like this approach as well. So after just over two weeks I've had 44 mullet up to 43cm 6 over 40cm and 22 bream up to 36cm. In fact 2 bream at 36cm. Happy days.
Well done. They do like small lures.
I tried surface lures few times there, got hit few times but none landed yet, early morning in summer and autumn supposedly the best. Give it a try, you might have better luck than me and can crack the secret to get a hookup.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am

Davco19 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Some nice lb fishing there mate.
Some very nice size mullets :tu:

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:34 pm

sanctuary lakes is truly a first class fishery as long as it doesnt get over populated as it isnt the biggest system. Around Melbourne, the lake is probably your best chance of getting a PB bream, people who live on the lake and fish in their yard from what i've heard have caught bream in excess of 50cm. Me personally after fishing the lake around 5-6 times, ive broken my PB 5 times which it now sits at 38cm. Give it a crack!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”