Melbourne Northern Suburbs

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
PL-200
Has liked: 2 times

Melbourne Northern Suburbs

Post by PL-200 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:10 pm

Hey all,

I'm a land based fisherman, but haven't fished since moving to Melbourne. I know there are plenty of rivers and creeks in the Northern Suburbs, but I hear plenty of reports of how toxic some of the waterways can be due to pollution.

Are there any areas in the north that produce fish that are safe to eat? Any help would be appreciated. I am happy to catch and release, but I prefer to catch and eat. Makes it so much more rewarding for me.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Melbourne Northern Suburbs

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:01 pm

If you want something to eat then probably the Yarra river has clean enough water upstream of Templestowe. Plenty of different species of fish as well.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:09 pm

Where are you in northern suburb?
Plenty of carp, but they're not the best to eat. As boonanza said, upper yarra is probably the best and closest.
Check fisheries website too for stocked family lakes. Maybe there's one close to you.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Roxburgh Park Lake (Lake Mcivor Reserve) is stocked with trout on the school holidays which would suggest the water quality there is good enough for the fish to be eaten. I caught one back in September there but threw it back as the lake is full of rubbish. Yarrambat Lake may also be an option. It's also stocked with trout and the water looks much better than at Roxy. Other than that there is the Yarra as has already been mentioned. Plenty of other waters hold fish but I wouldn't recommend anyone eating their catch out of them.

PL-200

Post by PL-200 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks guys for the advice
Seb85 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:09 pm
Plenty of carp, but they're not the best to eat. As boonanza said, upper yarra is probably the best and closest.
Check fisheries website too for stocked family lakes. Maybe there's one close to you.
I'm in Coburg, towards Brunswick. When you say "upper Yarra", do you mean the reservoir or literally the upper areas of the river?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm

PL-200 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am
Seb85 wrote:
I'm in Coburg, towards Brunswick. When you say "upper Yarra", do you mean the reservoir or literally the upper areas of the river?
Upper areas.
There's a weir at dight falls, above that is freshwater, but mostly carp and eel around there. Downstream is brackish and becoming saltwater.
You're in Brunswick, I'd say check those stocked lake.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

PL-200

Post by PL-200 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm
PL-200 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:34 am
Seb85 wrote:
Upper areas.
There's a weir at dight falls, above that is freshwater, but mostly carp and eel around there. Downstream is brackish and becoming saltwater.
You're in Brunswick, I'd say check those stocked lake.
Thanks mate, very helpful. I'll give it a look.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”