Sorrento pier 5-2-20

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Sorrento pier 5-2-20

Post by mazman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:46 am
17 squid and 30 tommies in 2.5 hrs, great session!

When you say proper egi technique, what is it? As in the retrieve etc? Apart from proper egi rod ofc.

Haters gonna hate. He didn't want to listen coz all he wanted was to hate. Oh well, you didn't do anything wrong.
Sorry seb missed this post when I first read through.

The rod is more to assist with giving the action to the jig and landing the squid. I was referring to the technique, both Niroj and I were a little rusty so it didn't feel as natural to us as it used to but when you are getting it right you can get a really nice action out of your jigs and can also impart different actions to try and see what will interest them.
matari wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:19 pm
mazman wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:37 pm
Thanks guys.

This threads gone a bit crazy, few things I want to add. I'm well across bag limits for species I am keeping and if in doubt about something will take a quick pic and then send it on its way. The main reason I brought up the guy who was carrying on a bit was to point out that most guys who are getting into fish are happy to help out, I don't fish piers too often anymore but used to get down there regularly and have helped quite a few people get onto some fish on plastics.
Well can you come back down and teach me how to catch a single fish on a plastic? i can't get anything :dn:
I was back down there today on a boat and found the tommies in different areas but got into them with the same technique of rolling plastics with the occasional twitch thrown in. If you can get out on a boat or kayak down that end of ppb keep an eye on the sounder as your moving around, been quite a few times I've been chasing squid and found a school, for the species that travel in schools I don't cast until I see them with the electronics these days. If you're on a pier there's a bit more work involved because you have to find where they are sitting by blind casting. I generally work my way around the pier mixing up the retrieve, rolling the plastic at different levels of the water column (counting it down to different depths, slow the retrieve a bit to get it to run deeper and pause it mid retrieve to sink back down a bit to work near bottom) and then hopping along the bottom if it's reasonably clear. Personally for this kind of fishing a zman slim swims in bad shad is my go to down south as it does a great job of representing the baitfish and just about everything will eat them. Today I got tommies, squid, couta and slimmies all having a crack at the plastic and the slim swim out performed the lures others were using by a good margin.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Post by fortula999 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 am

mazman wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm
Seb85 wrote:

When you say proper egi technique, what is it? As in the retrieve etc? Apart from proper egi rod ofc.

Haters gonna hate. He didn't want to listen coz all he wanted was to hate. Oh well, you didn't do anything wrong.

The rod is more to assist with giving the action to the jig and landing the squid. I was referring to the technique, both Niroj and I were a little rusty so it didn't feel as natural to us as it used to but when you are getting it right you can get a really nice action out of your jigs and can also impart different actions to try and see what will interest them.
matari wrote:
mazman wrote:
Thanks guys.

This threads gone a bit crazy, few things I want to add. I'm well across bag limits for species I am keeping and if in doubt about something will take a quick pic and then send it on its way. The main reason I brought up the guy who was carrying on a bit was to point out that most guys who are getting into fish are happy to help out, I don't fish piers too often anymore but used to get down there regularly and have helped quite a few people get onto some fish on plastics.
Well can you come back down and teach me how to catch a single fish on a plastic? i can't get anything :dn:
I was back down there today on a boat and found the tommies in different areas but got into them with the same technique of rolling plastics with the occasional twitch thrown in. If you can get out on a boat or kayak down that end of ppb keep an eye on the sounder as your moving around, been quite a few times I've been chasing squid and found a school, for the species that travel in schools I don't cast until I see them with the electronics these days. If you're on a pier there's a bit more work involved because you have to find where they are sitting by blind casting. I generally work my way around the pier mixing up the retrieve, rolling the plastic at different levels of the water column (counting it down to different depths, slow the retrieve a bit to get it to run deeper and pause it mid retrieve to sink back down a bit to work near bottom) and then hopping along the bottom if it's reasonably clear. Personally for this kind of fishing a zman slim swims in bad shad is my go to down south as it does a great job of representing the baitfish and just about everything will eat them. Today I got tommies, squid, couta and slimmies all having a crack at the plastic and the slim swim out performed the lures others were using by a good margin.
What do you think about the motor oil colour on the slim swimz? Is it comparable to bad shad or does bad shad outfish it completely?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 am

saph wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:05 pm
Brett wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:38 am
saph wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43 am
Nice report, next time a bunch of them come up and harras you best thing is to record it (gopro and chest mount would work and cashies have them cheap for older models) and tell them they are free to call fisherys and file a false report and let it back fire since they do ask for the callers name and number.

Also not to be THAT person but just a reminder that squid have a 10 bag limit https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... cuttlefish so if they did call fisherys they could have fined you.

Rubbish.

I think you need to take the time to get to know some of the main contributors of the forum and read and understand the report a little better :tu: .

Both Alex and Niroj would know their bag limits and would even offer advice to someone that didn't, or needed help.
They had a combined total of 17 squid out of an allowed 20 for 2 ppl, so no fine would have been issued.
Brett, next time before going off read the post above, you will find i explained why i posted that as i watched queensland fisherys try it once before, just so you can see it here it is again
saph wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 am
Seb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 am
saph wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43 am
Nice report, next time a bunch of them come up and harras you best thing is to record it (gopro and chest mount would work and cashies have them cheap for older models) and tell them they are free to call fisherys and file a false report and let it back fire since they do ask for the callers name and number.

Also not to be THAT person but just a reminder that squid have a 10 bag limit https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fis ... cuttlefish so if they did call fisherys they could have fined you.
10 per person.
17 between two of them.
i know, its more if they came and say only one person was there they would get in trouble.

Ok boss.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 am

fortula999 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 am
mazman wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

matari wrote:
mazman wrote:
Thanks guys.

What do you think about the motor oil colour on the slim swimz? Is it comparable to bad shad or does bad shad outfish it completely?
For this kind of fishing I like to have a bait coloured plastic to represent what I believe to be the main food source. from zman there's a heap of colours that do this bad shad is just my favourite but opening night, pearl, smoke hologram, pearl blue glimmer and any similar sort of colour will work. I use motoroil slims when I'm chasing things like bream, flathead and pinkies (demersal species) and it is usually when the water clarity drops off a bit.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Post by fortula999 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am

mazman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:43 am
fortula999 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 am
mazman wrote:
Seb85 wrote:

matari wrote:
mazman wrote:
Thanks guys.

For this kind of fishing I like to have a bait coloured plastic to represent what I believe to be the main food source. from zman there's a heap of colours that do this bad shad is just my favourite but opening night, pearl, smoke hologram, pearl blue glimmer and any similar sort of colour will work. I use motoroil slims when I'm chasing things like bream, flathead and pinkies (demersal species) and it is usually when the water clarity drops off a bit.
Ah ok, so you use bad shad for the midwater to topwater species, but for the fish that hold down low you go for motor oil? What's the reasoning behind this?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:15 am

pelagic fish feed on the surface to midwater column, so a baitfish profile will get nailed 10 times out of 10 as thats what the fish are looking for to feed on
demersals are bottom dwelling where the light penetration isnt as high as midwater or topwater, so colours like UV holds its own in the deeper water.
baitfish colours will also work on the bottom ofcourse.. scented plastics also work well on bottom dwellers as they can smell it insted of just relying on sight.

Lure fishing is an art, once you start to hone in on those finer details things will get easier and easier..

or if you struggle like me, just use gulps everywhere and call it a day....

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Looks like you’ve had a blast of a session with some incredible photos to prove.

Always producing great content, as someone who's only starting to move towards soft plastics theres been some valuable advice here.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”