Garmin EchoMap 70DV

fitzy90

Garmin EchoMap 70DV

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 am

Hi All,

The time has come to do a bit of depth sounder upgrading, and given all the sales on there are some bargains to be had all round.
I think im fairly settled on the Garmin EchoMap 70DV Combo (BCF has knocked $300 off the price), ill be getting the upgrade for the side scan as well.
Just wanted to know if anyone here has had any first hand experience with this unit?

JoshW

Re: Garmin EchoMap 70DV

Post by JoshW » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:57 am

I've had a bit of a play around with them and they are nice and easy to use, as is most of the Garmin stuff. The mapping they come with (preloaded with Garmin Bluechart) isn't as good as the one that comes with the Lowrance elite series, but its still good and also upgradeable.

From memory the GCV 10 black box which is the side scan unit gives the unit CHIRP capabilities, which is a massive step up in my opinion. They're relatively new, so I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on them but at first glance and going by the reputation of Garmin products you'd be pretty happy with this unit.

A little bit of info here : http://www.fishfinders.info/garmin-echomap-70dv-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info, ive read all the online reviews but nothing beats first hand information from other fishos

chocolatemoose

Post by chocolatemoose » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:38 pm

the gcv10 dosnt give the unit chirp at all.. welll.. not in the sense that i think most people asume it would

the GCV10 gives side and downVu to the echomap and GPSMAP range.. it is true however that the signals for the side and down Vu is CHIRPED.. its not CHIRP fish finding frequencies.. its in the higher band

think of it like this

"hey bro nice car.. its pretty awesome....................yeah i know right. it makes 200 horse power.............awesome ! hey you should chuck on this turbo charger i have right here.........AWESOME NOW IT MAKES 230HP!"..........chirp in the GCV10 sense is a turbo charger for the side and down VU

thought i should clear that up

Moose :D

Return to “Marine Electronics”