best deep cycle battery for boat.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

best deep cycle battery for boat.

Post by barra mick » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Im after the best 120/130 amp deep cycle battery for my boat

Keeping in mind that its going to be charged through the boat alternator and a vsr.

what do people use?

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: best deep cycle battery for boat.

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 pm

just as a side topic to the battery... I do 95% of my fishing overnight to avoid the bloody ramp queues and use 2 led spotlights and leave them on all night with a traditional all round white light. I run 2 batteries but usually only battery number 2 at night, then number 1 for day use the next morning/arvo.
should I take them out and recharge separate.. or is it ok to charge battery 1 whilst still connected with the switch on battery 1 and 2 so that they both charge... with boats being so compact it takes me an hour to get 1 battery in or out with all the wires and conduits and battery holders around them, I can barely get down to see them.
I usually just charge battery 1 with the switch on battery1 and 2 and have only had an issue once when I didn't realise that the corrosion had got all over the terminals so there wasn't proper contact with the charger...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm

barra mick wrote:Im after the best 120/130 amp deep cycle battery for my boat

Keeping in mind that its going to be charged through the boat alternator and a vsr.

what do people use?

Cheers bm
I Just bought a generic one from eBay.
My reasoning being they will last about 2-3 years max before having to replace them.
I got a 130ah AGM from eBay for $200 i think delivered.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:just as a side topic to the battery... I do 95% of my fishing overnight to avoid the bloody ramp queues and use 2 led spotlights and leave them on all night with a traditional all round white light. I run 2 batteries but usually only battery number 2 at night, then number 1 for day use the next morning/arvo.
should I take them out and recharge separate.. or is it ok to charge battery 1 whilst still connected with the switch on battery 1 and 2 so that they both charge... with boats being so compact it takes me an hour to get 1 battery in or out with all the wires and conduits and battery holders around them, I can barely get down to see them.
I usually just charge battery 1 with the switch on battery1 and 2 and have only had an issue once when I didn't realise that the corrosion had got all over the terminals so there wasn't proper contact with the charger...
As for your scenario.
I would make up some Ring terminals with a quick release fitting that plugs into your battery charger wires.
Screw the ring terminals permanently on the battery and when its time to charge just plug the quick fitting into battery charger and charge them.
That's the easiest way to do it

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:41 pm

purple5ive wrote:
My reasoning being they will last about 2-3 years max before having to replace them.

I've been running the same 2 batteries for 6 years, when I push the boat back under cover, plug a a charger/maintainer for each battery. Prior to this set up I was buying new batteries every 18 months.

what do people use?

Cheers bm
I run a couple of century marine batteries, not sure on the size of each. No issues after 6 years.
quid est quod eum

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:03 pm

ratbag wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

I've been running the same 2 batteries for 6 years, when I push the boat back under cover, plug a a charger/maintainer for each battery. Prior to this set up I was buying new batteries every 18 months.

what do people use?

Cheers bm
I run a couple of century marine batteries, not sure on the size of each. No issues after 6 years.
I believe he is after batteries for his trolling motor as opposed to normal marine batteries.
Trolling motor batteries get repeatedly cycled hence the slightly lower life span.

However replacing batteries every 18 months is pretty steep.
I would def charge all batteries for peace of mind
Main batteries occasionally and trolling batteries after every trip.

A good multistage charger with desulphation mode and float charge will keep the battery in good condition.

Return to “Marine Electronics”