Furuno 585

Andrew Myers

Furuno 585

Post by Andrew Myers » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello all, fish Westernport frequently, does any one have tips to fine tune Furuno 585, cheers

Sinsemilla

Re: Furuno 585

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:29 am

Good choice of sounder. They are pretty simple to use. Just muck around between both frequency's depending on depth then adjust the sensitivity so you can see the bottom or fish marks clearly but not too much clutter throughout the whole screen.
Also welcome to the forum mate!

Cheers, Anth

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:12 pm

I normally use settings along the lines of below.

TVG Medium
Clutter 30%ish
Colour Erase 10%
White Line 0-10%%
Interference Auto
Gain adjust to suit depth with a 1kw transducer 4-7
Pic Advance 1/1
Under 20m I use dual frequency
Over 20m I use bottom lock and switch between 50 and 200kHz

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:37 pm

Mine pretty much the same as frozenpods except I only have 600 watts I leave gain in manual and adjust for depth and water conditions. Deep water I have to adjust the pic advance

Andrew Myers

Post by Andrew Myers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Cheers for the help, generally fishing in Western port anywhere from 3 to 25 meters, just trying to make sure I've got it right. Western port has a lot of weed and clutter.

Andrew Myers

Post by Andrew Myers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 pm

p.s,it is a 1kw sounder, i do have it on the 50/200 setting, I presume that is best for the depth i'm mainly in, cheers

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Depending on what you're trying to do with the sounder your frequency will determine. (Sorry, that sounds like Yoda). The 200KHz will be a narrower beam and give better bottom definition in the bay (shallow water) Fish will look like blobs or lines mostly. 50KHz will be wider beam and good for searching for fish (although I don't do this in WP) and fish will look like the tell tale arches. You can probably run both frequencies In a split window if you want. I don't have a furuno but I personally avoid any auto settings and manually tune my sounder each and every trip (and again and again during the trip). I like to turn up the gain until there is just too much clutter on the screen,then either turn the gain down slightly or colour erase the clutter just enough. Then I also zoom the bottom half of the water column to remove surface clutter (after all I am fishing on the bottom). Depending on the depth, water clarity, tidal flow, etc your settings will differ. Spend a good day playing with it and you'll soon get use to it. You have a top sounder by the way, I tried to buy a 585 the other day but was too late and it was sold.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:27 pm

The beauty of the 585 the lower r/h rotary knob selects 50 or 200 or dual or zoom etc when sounding around select between the frequencies and you can see the difference likewise the rotary gain knob just above it can be quickly altered and you can see the difference. I don't know if you bought it new or second hand or if you have read the manual the gain knob is also a switch push it to select between modes manual auto when in manual the gain scale appears in the top header I make mental notes of what it is for different areas its very user friendly and easy to use I had a lowrance before and adjusting the gain was a pain opening up menu boxes much quicker on the foruno.

Andrew Myers

Post by Andrew Myers » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Cheers Guys, a lot of useful information, will be heading out next week and are determined to sound around for a couple of hours. Its hard to do because all you want to do is fish, but I will enforce some patience and concur the Furuno sounder. I have the manual and it is encouraging when you do see some decent archers come up, I think i'm 85% there, just need some fine tuning, cheers

Return to “Marine Electronics”