GPS troubles

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

GPS troubles

Post by Tackleberry » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 am

Ok me being an old fart I have no idea how to update anything let alone a GPS unit .
So yesterday I went offshore from lakes and as usual I didn't bother to turn on my 2 GPS units until I get about 4k out , turn them on and nothing .
And I mean not one satellite. Lucky I knew where I was going I bagged out in an hour but I need these things to work as in the gippy lakes I need them .

Units are a old (90s) garminetrex and a lowrance elete5 chirp I have no computer and NO Leeds so how does one update ?

Cheers and TIA
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: GPS troubles

Post by re-tyred » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 am

OK, first run them at home for a bit to make sure they haven't just been a bit confused after the date roll over and getting moved quite a distance while off. While doing that you would need to save your marks to an SD card if they have that facility. The lowrance should.
If you buy another lowrance the marks should upload to the new unit OK. The Garmin may save the marks as a GPX file . If it does then it should be loadable to another unit , however if not I could help you convert them. If all else fails. I can give you my copy of the lakes reefs in a file suitable to almost any GPS you buy and for google earth. I have mine loaded on google earth on my phone for that oh f$%&#@ moment
Attachments
earth_postcard_1556910767.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Woo hoo thanks Mike it worked on my old etrex hand held this is the one I need the most .
It is the most accurate GPS I have seen to date the lowrance in the boat is lucky to get me within 20m to 30m of my marks .....
Wish it was working yesterday it was a good patch of reef had a lot of crevices.
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 18, 2019 1:04 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 am
OK, first run them at home for a bit to make sure they haven't just been a bit confused after the date roll over and getting moved quite a distance while off. While doing that you would need to save your marks to an SD card if they have that facility. The lowrance should.
If you buy another lowrance the marks should upload to the new unit OK. The Garmin may save the marks as a GPX file . If it does then it should be loadable to another unit , however if not I could help you convert them. If all else fails. I can give you my copy of the lakes reefs in a file suitable to almost any GPS you buy and for google earth. I have mine loaded on google earth on my phone for that oh f$%&#@ moment
Tackleberry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Woo hoo thanks Mike it worked

The Forum working at its best :thumbsup:

I sure do like a story with a happy ending

Happy man.PNG

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Sat May 18, 2019 6:40 pm

Me too I wasn't looking forward to having to buy another one I got more reels to buy ....

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Good result. I am in narrabri camping and getting a suntan. Be over on the sunshine coast by next weekend.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Marine Electronics”