Dual batteries

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Dual batteries

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Depends on how tou run and where you fish.

I have all the electronics wired to switch point 2 and motor to switch point 1.

Normally the 1 battery can run the car freezer for about 30 hours with out charging so with 2 batterys i double it.

If im just fishing during the day i normally drive the boat on both, and if i stop for long periods i swap it to battery 2 and then put back both when running back in to the ramp

If night fishing i run on bothand then flick over to switch 2 when ever we stop.

When been to bermagui i run on both amd only drive 20 mins from the ramp and drift all 4 to 5 hours and then drive back in on both. Did that 7 days in a row amd didnt even turn the switch off when boat on trailer and batterys didnt go flat.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Really appreciate the info and suggestions guys!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 am

Just wondering if anyone has an anchor winch and only runs one battery? (finally getting a winch installed, and not sure whether to put in a dual battery or just get a jump-starter pack at 1/4 of the price)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:07 am

All boats should have dual batteries so make this a priority upgrade.

To avoid the battery going flat start the motor before you use the winch, the extra voltage increases winch speed which is helpful.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 am

Go for dual batteries, it's a safety feature as much as a convenience. As frozenpod said, always have your motor running when you use your winch and it basically runs of the alternator and doesn't drain your battery. I up the idle revs to about 1500 when I'm upping the anchor and this keeps the battery voltage up around 13.8 which means the batteries are actually charging (not draining) while the winch is working. And it retrieves faster too.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

skronkman wrote:Go for dual batteries, it's a safety feature as much as a convenience. As frozenpod said, always have your motor running when you use your winch and it basically runs of the alternator and doesn't drain your battery. I up the idle revs to about 1500 when I'm upping the anchor and this keeps the battery voltage up around 13.8 which means the batteries are actually charging (not draining) while the winch is working. And it retrieves faster too.
Hey Skronkman,
I've followed yours and Frozenpod's advice and bought another battery (surprise-surprise, it was double the cost of a car battery). I re-read your advice on the VSR selector/isolator switch..... In simple terms, does this mean the VSR will automatically swap batteries when one runs low & will automatically charge both batteries without having to physically flick the switch?
Also, can anyone give me advice on what brand of VSR switch is best and where to purchase it? ...I found this one at Whitworths for $249 and what looks like an identical one on Amazon for $138.
Switch-Blue Sea.jpg
Switch-Blue Sea.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:10 am

Blue Sea makes very good stuff but pricey.

BEP is a little cheaper and worth looking at as well.

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/BEP- ... witch.html

VSR = Voltage Sensing Relay it will automatically switch between a house and start battery to keep both batteries charged up and only drain one when the motor is turned off.

IMO a manual dual isolator switch is all that is required. I have seen the VSR relays fail stuck closed (uncommon but can happen).

Dual isolator switch costs about $50.

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 am

frozenpod wrote:Blue Sea makes very good stuff but pricey.

BEP is a little cheaper and worth looking at as well.

http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/BEP- ... witch.html

VSR = Voltage Sensing Relay it will automatically switch between a house and start battery to keep both batteries charged up and only drain one when the motor is turned off.

IMO a manual dual isolator switch is all that is required. I have seen the VSR relays fail stuck closed (uncommon but can happen).

Dual isolator switch costs about $50.
Big price difference! Im also hoping I can put my trickle charge on 1 battery and it will maintain the both of them (or is this wishful thinking?)

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 am

With a dual battery isolator if you select 1+2 both batteries are connected in parallel.

Connecting the charger to one battery with 1+2 selected will charge both.

Salted

Post by Salted » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 am

Blue Sea ADD A BATTERY Dual Circuit System
SKU: 84425

I have just installed this kit from Blue Sea after alot of research. Used it a few times local in WPB with everything going, and used it out about 20km out from Apollo Bay same with all electrics going without a problem. I think the isolation of this kit works really well.
One word of advice, dont scrimp on the quality of the 2B cable you use and solder EVERY connection.
Cheers,

Return to “Marine Electronics”