Lighting Upgrades

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Lighting Upgrades

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:07 am

Ahoy there spending a little bit of time redoing the lighting on my vessel.

For those interested the name of the game is reduce glare from my previous **** poor placement of lights.
What I have done is removed the two Gunnel lights and replaced with LED strip lights under the gunnel.
Phase 2.0 is to remove rear strip lights on corner and install LED strip lights on snapper racks this is where there could be a few challenges sticking adhesives to stainless tube. Cable ties may be a temporary solution has anyone else installed LED's on their snapper racks? Thinking stainless hose clamps may me ok, stainless ties would be a good option if they don't leave a sharp edge.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Lighting Upgrades

Post by Mattblack » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:34 am

Be good if you could keep this thread going as you progress (Bowl started a good one a while back viewtopic.php?f=70&t=18855&hilit=led+lights) Didn't realise orange lights didn't attract mozzies until reading this.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:35 am

Before you stick on the ligjts do you rub down the stainless steel with metho to help ahession?
Or actuly glue on with arildite

Do you have any pics tobhelp out your discription?

Or Do you have lights pinting off rockets launchers towards the transom if so do yiu need lighta on snapper rack?

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:46 am

Mattblack wrote:Be good if you could keep this thread going as you progress (Bowl started a good one a while back viewtopic.php?f=70&t=18855&hilit=led+lights) Didn't realise orange lights didn't attract mozzies until reading this.
Ahoy there Matt will keep this thread going it will be a staged job as I have time.
smile0784 wrote:Before you stick on the ligjts do you rub down the stainless steel with metho to help ahession?
Or actuly glue on with arildite

Do you have any pics tobhelp out your discription?

Or Do you have lights pinting off rockets launchers towards the transom if so do yiu need lighta on snapper rack?
Ahoy smile.
Yeah I will clean the stainless but will be sticking and tying or clamping in place for sure.

Ill take pics as I go and try and upload them so you guys can see what I have done for sure.

Yes I do have Rocket Launcher lights I don't use them once fishing due to the amount of light over the water.
The idea of the snapper rack lights is to be able to see the rods and thats it. The gunwale lights will be for seeing the deck. Waiting on ordered lights to arrive.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am

The Gunwale lights are glued in using the supplied tape. If this doesn't hold I may glass them in under the gunwale with thin strips of fibreglass sheet and resin or go with araldite

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:58 am

One thing to watch with lights on the racks themselves is light pollution causing you to not see the rod tips. I'd temp mount them with cable ties and if they work out fine go a more permanent install later

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:57 pm

rb85 wrote:The Gunwale lights are glued in using the supplied tape. If this doesn't hold I may glass them in under the gunwale with thin strips of fibreglass sheet and resin or go with araldite
I mounted 5 meters of led strip lights along the underside of each gunnel on my boat. I only used the adhesive backing as a temporary hold as I dobbed a fat blob of silastic every half meter thereabouts.
Been in place going on 2 years now no problem.
I’ve actually used dobs of silocone adhesive to hold the heavy battery cables (for the anchor winch) in place on the vertical surface of my centre console helm and its perfect.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

cobby wrote:One thing to watch with lights on the racks themselves is light pollution causing you to not see the rod tips. I'd temp mount them with cable ties and if they work out fine go a more permanent install later
Cheers Cobby was going to do that. The reason I'm going to try this is due to noise pollution from the other lights in the boat.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Yota wrote:
rb85 wrote:The Gunwale lights are glued in using the supplied tape. If this doesn't hold I may glass them in under the gunwale with thin strips of fibreglass sheet and resin or go with araldite
I mounted 5 meters of led strip lights along the underside of each gunnel on my boat. I only used the adhesive backing as a temporary hold as I dobbed a fat blob of silastic every half meter thereabouts.
Been in place going on 2 years now no problem.
I’ve actually used dobs of silocone adhesive to hold the heavy battery cables (for the anchor winch) in place on the vertical surface of my centre console helm and its perfect.
Thanks for the tip will try that instead easier to remove.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:33 pm

No worries rb,
And if your rig is alloy make sure you check the silicone won’t react with the he hull. My boat is a fibreglass job so a good prep clean is all that was needed.
And you're right, if you wantto or have to, you can pull the blob of silicone away easily enough, but it does hold cabk s in place well.
I’d add photos but the file size of the photos on my phoneis too large.

Return to “Marine Electronics”