NEMA 2000 compatibility

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

NEMA 2000 compatibility

Post by Yota » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am

I’m new to this marine networking thing so I’ll his might be way out there, but I’ve never had it explained to me - I only know what I think I do from online,,,,
I understand that NMEA is a “standard” but I want to make sure, so I ask the obvious before I buy something that won’t fit.

Q - will a “lowrance” nmea starter kit work in my simrad nss evo 2 and mercury vessel view ?
My understanding is that the nmea is meant to be a standard that each manufacturer uses, so it would make sense to me I could buy a lowrance kit or a garmin kit and all the plugs should fit. My only “unknown” is if the pin configuration could be different for the different kits to suit each manufacturer?

Thanks

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: NEMA 2000 compatibility

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

navico, own both lowrance and simrad, and connectors are similar, so id think the lowrance ones would most certainly fit.

but to answer your question, i would make an educated guess and say that different manufacturers do indeed have different plugs at their product end, the end which joins the backbone are all same type.

Yota

Post by Yota » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks purple, I’m a bit stuck coz I got a hefty gift card for BCF I have to use soon someday and all they sell a lowrance starter kit, I might have to just try it ?
Or buy something else ha ha

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:46 pm

What are you getting to connect the simrad to via nmea2k?

Yota

Post by Yota » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm

I’m sure there’s a network socket on the rear of the Simrad, I’ll connect the backbone link cable there - is that what you mean ?

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:27 pm

the NSS evo 2 will be compatible with the mercury vessel view...for memory you need the starter kit...however the information on the older Simrads is limited to analog gauges display on the simrad...so while they can connect...sometimes its not worth it.

Yota

Post by Yota » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 pm

repspec wrote:the NSS evo 2 will be compatible with the mercury vessel view...for memory you need the starter kit...however the information on the older Simrads is limited to analog gauges display on the simrad...so while they can connect...sometimes its not worth it.
Thanks repspec, yep i knew the VV and the Simrad were compatible, I’ve got a starter kit + 1 extra T joiner organised now. From other inquiries I’ve made the lowrance/navico/Simrad gear is all compatible in that (nmea2000) way.
The Simrad unit I’ve got is the NSS EVO2 so up until a few months ago when the EVO3 came out it was the latest product from Simrad. So not that old.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:02 pm

The data format is standard. However connectors are not. Nor is the data transmitted or received. The software in each piece if equipment determines what data it transmits or receives .
So check your connector types and read the specs of each item. Then decide if it is worth the bother
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Yota wrote:I’m sure there’s a network socket on the rear of the Simrad, I’ll connect the backbone link cable there - is that what you mean ?
sorry i meant to ask what exactly are you connecting to the sounder.
but looks like the answer was already there, the Mercury vessel view?

you can connect all sorts of thing via nmea2k.

sounder to outboard
sounder to trolling motor
sounder to radio

and many other possible connections.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 pm

Some engines before a certain manufacturing date are not compatible with NMEA interface.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Marine Electronics”