baitworms

Re: NEMA 2000 compatibility

Post by baitworms » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm

Email Bill Milonas@Navico.com
He answered me, you could get lucky.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:16 pm

re-tyred wrote:The data format is standard. However connectors are not. Nor is the data transmitted or received. The software in each piece if equipment determines what data it transmits or receives .
So check your connector types and read the specs of each item. Then decide if it is worth the bother
Good advice.

I actually write software on the same architecture as NMEA2000 so hopefully I can clarify. The 1st point I would just like to make is the older NMEA0183 is nothing like NMEA2000 and they cannot be used on the same BUS without converting the signals.

To reiterate re-tyred's comments, a device is set up to transmit what it wants to transmit and the same in reverse. There is a lot of data transmitted on the BUS which for arguments sake your fish finder is just not interested in reading. All of the data however is transmitted to the exact same standard.

I am therefore curious as to why there are different plugs. Possibly its a manufacturer thing because if they are running NMEA200 CAN, it has to be coincide with other NMEA2000 devices as the message structure is the same unless they are doing something stupid like running a different baud rate.

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks retyred, purple and hornet,
The motor is a Merc 150 four stroke, about 18 months old now.
The whole picture is becoming clearer each day.
Merc were kind enough after my enquiries to send me a link to ALL the VV reading material anyone could ever need, instead of directly answering my 2 questions. Oh well.
From what I've read I think I need to update it for a start. I never knew it had a micro sd slot ha ha.

So it looks like I'll do the update and see if that improves the fuel tank usage display. Then hook up the nmea gear then get that fuel data dongle thing, which I might need, I think this gadget retains the fuel data between trips as well as interprets some data from the motor, I won't find out if I need it or not until after I get the nmea hooked up and see what data I do and don't get.

Ive got an as new nmea set off gumtree in the post on its way.

Cheers.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 am

The reason for different connectors is a marketing ploy. You have to buy their connectors and cable. You can't just make cables from easily purchased can bus cable suppliers
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 am

When I did this for a living I spent hundreds of hours looking at the data packets and trying to sort out things for customers. Sometimes it just can't be done. Other times you need the engine instruments to be able to configure a system
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Yota

Post by Yota » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:32 am

Thank ReTyred and hydroman, I think the problem is, the various manufacturers are great at showing the end result of flashy displays and linked systems ( like in my case I want to link the Simrad to Mercury Vessel View) but there's no "how to" information.
Unless someone (average punter) puts it up on a YouTube video.
Since starting my endeavours to link them in my boat it's been like pulling teeth to find out info. I sent Mercury various emails and the best they could do was answer my 2 questions with a link to every Vessel View document they've published.
Re the Navico stuff (nmea2000 system) there are add ons I've come across (like a fuel data dongle that connects to the network to provide data retention for many trips - for cumulative fuel used data.
I made enquiries at authorised dealers and 90% of them have no interest or idea with this stuff.
I go to marine shops and what few do sell nmea starter packs don't stock all the other bits - they have to be specially ordered.
There's really a handful of big manufacturers of engines, Merc Honda Suzi and Yammy. If they could invest in a "how to network for dummies" (like me) showing equipment needed and result that would make it easier.
Or even if the marine electronics companies did it ie Navico - lowrance/Simrad , Garmin, Furono etc etc.
Surely it would motivate sales and it would motivate people to do it.

Yota

Post by Yota » Wed May 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Just an update for anyone interested,
So today I finally gathered all the bits together.
I ordered a fuel flow meter - for whatever reason it took almost 2 weeks for it to arrive,,,
I bought a few new nmea cables to patch to the backbone the Simrad, the Vessel View how ver the fuel flow meter was supplied with the cable so all good.
I purchased about 7 of the nmea T pieces off gumtree coz I think $25-30 each is robbery.
I’ve rough wired it in for now just to see how successful it all was and I’m very happy with the results so far.
I can confirm all the Lowrance parts I used are compatible with the Simrad gear - it says so on the box too ha ha.
So all the nmea plugs are same same.
As soon as I powered up the boat both the Simrad and the Vessel View automatically recognised the new network and prompted the appropriate setup sequence which was easy.
1 boat
1 motor
Motor model
Size of motor
Number of fuel tanks - 1
Position of fuel tank
Size of fuel tank
Etc etc.
Straight away I got all new engine gauge displays on the Simrad and realistic fuel level feedback.
So I’m very happy.
Now I just have to fit it all in properly and neatly.
I also bought a couple of those blue underwater transom LED lights. So while I’m running the fuel flow cable under the floor I’ll run power for those too.
Re those transom LEDs: what’s peoples thoughts, should I drill through the transom under the water level staring the through from the led fitting- I’m not convinced this is a good idea even if it’s all sealed up.
Or should I mount the LEDs in their underwater position and run the wire above water level and go through one of those stainless cable hood things ? This would save the potential for transom rot wouldn’t it ?
Anyway I’m no expert at nmea but I’ve got a much better idea now.
Thanks to all who helped.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

good to hear its all worked out, since you have now got an idea whats going on its a lot easier to add things to it etc.

for the lights, the less holes the better, some lights allow the fitting to be flush mounted with the pigtails exiting through a channel in the back of the light, so if its like that then certainly go with the wires up the transom and into the stainless hood

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Glad to hear it worked out for you yota! :thumbsup:

Yota

Post by Yota » Wed May 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Purple and Lightning,