Safety - EPIRB/PLB, flares, essential?

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Safety - EPIRB/PLB, flares, essential?

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:22 pm

saph wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:56 pm
saph wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:25 pm

From what i can pull up on the web i would say orange and red hand held ones would be the go since i highly doubt you would go 2nm offshore to need rockets https://transportsafety.vic.gov.au/mari ... -equipment
Same with EPIRB, not mandatory unless traveling 2nm or more offshore.
But I'm more concerned about the safety itself, not just to be compliant.
So from safety perspective, is it essential to have a flare or two on a yak.
Vyak shows some offshore kayakers take them.
i mean you can if you like it would make it alot easyer for rescue services to find you, also try and find some marking dye https://shop.perthscuba.com/products/di ... luorescein this stuff i would consider essential in a yak since you can drop a small amount around you and be easy to spot also on the plb stuff get one of these https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/diveshop ... ts_id=4179 they are small but handy plus you dont need to register them and they send a signal to both rescue centers and any boat with the ais stuff.
These work on VHF channel 70 ( the AIS channel) so you need to be withing range of a VHF radio that will respond to it.Places like the Bay no problem as it will set off every commercial and VMR radio. It will also set off every recreational vessel radio but don't bet on anyone knowing what it is or what to do about it. PLB go via satellite straight to Canberra RCC,
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm

A side question on this topic - ive got a plb, primarily for no reception deep bush fishing trips. From memory, there was a sheet which had a link to a site where you can register your trip. Obviously this is an added support in help getting to you if its triggered - do people register their trips in those circumstances?

Meppstas, if you're reading - not sure if tassie has a option to do this, but if yes - do you register your trips officially?

Also interested if any vic based sea men (...chuckle) do this?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:44 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:10 pm
A flare pack would be handy. A HH VHF would also be handy. You really can't have too much safety gear.
With Yaks and small tinnies the most common "disaster" is roll over or falling off. This leaves you in the water with only what you have on you. Stuff on the yak or small tinny may not be accessible as the wind may cause the vessel to drift too fast for a swimmer in a lifejacket. Therefore it is essential that you attach some method of raising the alarm to yourself. PLB would be top priority, phone in waterproof cover and VHF would also be up there.
You can get LED electronic flares. They do not pass for compulsory flares but would be good an YAK. Twice the price of a flare pack but no need to replace every 3 years and you aren't carrying explosives attached to your body.
Electronic flare isn't a bad idea. It's a good additional safety tool that is. I still think PLB or EPIRB is a must. And yes, carrying explosive on the PFD vest doesnt sound very good idea.

Most of the cons of EPIRB I read in vyak, is the size. And the fact that it's "big" and usually stays in the yak (separated from the person), then it becomes useless. But it says upright and floats.
PLB doesnt float and needs to be up in the air, cannot be submerged.
saph wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:15 pm

i mean you can if you like it would make it alot easyer for rescue services to find you, also try and find some marking dye https://shop.perthscuba.com/products/di ... luorescein this stuff i would consider essential in a yak since you can drop a small amount around you and be easy to spot also on the plb stuff get one of these https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/diveshop ... ts_id=4179 they are small but handy plus you dont need to register them and they send a signal to both rescue centers and any boat with the ais stuff.
Same with the flare I guess. Dye is a good addition, but is it really neccessary? at least it's small.
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm
A side question on this topic - ive got a plb, primarily for no reception deep bush fishing trips. From memory, there was a sheet which had a link to a site where you can register your trip. Obviously this is an added support in help getting to you if its triggered - do people register their trips in those circumstances?

Meppstas, if you're reading - not sure if tassie has a option to do this, but if yes - do you register your trips officially?

Also interested if any vic based sea men (...chuckle) do this?
I came across something like this in vyak. Some sorta app to register and/or track your travel, so people know where you're going/tracking, etc.
Cant remember which topic.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm

To register a trip. First start an account at AMSA , this creates a user and password. You have to do this to register your PLB/EPIRB
Once you have done that you can login and register a trip as per screen shot
Attachments
AMSA.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing the site tyred, do you always register yours or is it dependent on the variable circumstances?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm

You must register them, If you don't then there are no personal contact details if you set it off. This will delay your rescue as they try to work out where the beacon has come from.
https://www.beacons.amsa.gov.au/

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Oh sorry you mean your trip, no I tell my wife where I am going

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:14 pm

If she isn't home I put it on our family whatsapp site

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm

"Most of the cons of EPIRB I read in vyak, is the size. And the fact that it's "big" and usually stays in the yak (separated from the person), then it becomes useless. But it says upright and floats.
PLB doesnt float and needs to be up in the air, cannot be submerged."

Yes you will need to deploy the PLB antenna and hold it up in the air for a few minutes. If it is attached to you or your jacket then the not floating is not a problem. Just keep it attached so you don't drop it and lose it.
It takes only a few minutes of airtime to send a distress with your position.It doesn't have to be high up as the signal is going straight up to the satellite. it would work tucked into the collar of your lifejacket, even under your beanie most likely.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:34 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Yes you will need to deploy the PLB antenna and hold it up in the air for a few minutes. If it is attached to you or your jacket then the not floating is not a problem. Just keep it attached so you don't drop it and lose it.
It takes only a few minutes of airtime to send a distress with your position.It doesn't have to be high up as the signal is going straight up to the satellite. it would work tucked into the collar of your lifejacket, even under your beanie most likely.
Yup. I think I will get PLB and put it on the shoulder of the PFD vest.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Marine Electronics”