Cost of boating, not just $..But in time and so called mates

TackleNut

Cost of boating, not just $..But in time and so called mates

Post by TackleNut » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 pm

In reply to Kev209's answer to a question in another post, I thought I might add something that often goes over looked

Quote:
Funny how people drop off and don't want to go fishing as much

He is just spot on
And it's not just when they have to put their hands into their pockets.
The amount of times that the day has cost me over $150 to supply everything and then at the end the bugers just seem to vanish when it comes time to get the boat out of the water or left to wash everything down on my own is just massive.
It ended because I parked the boat in the garage and have left it there for the past 4 years as I have gotten sick of being stuck by myself when the work needs to be done.

So many times the past few years I have had mentioned to me that the fish are on the bite and that " we " should take the boat out and I have said fine, give me a hand to get the boat ready and then be at my place at 4.00am ready to go.
Most replies that I get is can't I meet them at the boat ramp so that they can go straight home from there. So I started to say sure can, when there are 30 days in Febuary I reply to that.
The amount of times I have had drive offs while I am trying to retrieve the boat had become ridiculous.
Back in the day it was an unwritten law that the others chip in and give you a hand.
Now I didn't mind the not chipping in as I wanted to go out myself and with most people I wouldn't take their $$ but soon I was being taken for granted.
Yes did meet many fisho's at various ramps like Carrum ( buggers didn't have to pay for parking their cars but I did as I had the boat ) but soon I became sick, tired and sore doing all the extra work by myself afterwards, not forgetting costs and most times shared my lunch or dinner or even both if it we fished both high tides. Ever retrieve a boat by yourself at 2.00am after being out on the water since 4.00am ?
When your that tired it certainly takes a lot longer, then you have to try to flush the motor and then wash boat and gear, then when home have to reverse the boat down a narrow street into the bowl of my court to get it into my garage.
Ohh it's not over yet, still have to unload, clean out the fish box and do what ever with the catch. The bloody sun has come up before I have finished. And were are the mates that I took out fishing, they are in bed fast asleep

So now it's from my home or nothing. I would rather stay home than have to do everything myself, that is 1 of 2 main reason that there are so few hrs on my boat the past few years besides my wifes illness that was cramping my fishing time. If I knew that we could go out for a few hours and given a hand to pack it up there would have been a lot more fishing done. Lots of people wanted to go fishing, but alas no one was interested in chipping in,

regards
tacklenut

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Cost of boating, not just $..But in time and so called m

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Well said TN with that kind of behaviour it's best the boat stays in the garage. It does seem to be the ugly side of boating that only the owners expirence. Often heard owners say that they have nobody to go out with and what they are really saying is that they have no one to pull the weight when required.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:00 am

I think from my experience if you are taking people out that have a boat or use to own a boat,those people understand the cost n time involved and seem to help out n share cost without having to ask...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:21 am

Raulfc7 wrote:Well said TN with that kind of behaviour it's best the boat stays in the garage. It does seem to be the ugly side of boating that only the owners expirence. Often heard owners say that they have nobody to go out with and what they are really saying is that they have no one to pull the weight when required.
Exactly, only the boat owners see this happen while the fisho or fisho's that have tagged along for free drive off and leave you standing up to your knees in the water at the ramp. Would have been much easier to drive onto the trailer and have someone just tie on the winch at the end and chain the boat up while I am still in it.
But no, I pull the boat up to the mooring or jetty I have to get out and back my car in, while I am doing that the buggers have unloaded their gear and driving past me waving goodbye and head off home. Damn never do that again I said, but it took that happening about 8 times in a row before I parked the boat into the garage. Now it costs me around $400 a year for insurance, another $85 odd for rego for boat and trailer for it to sit there, but I am happy to pay it.
It's actually cheaper for as these cost are there anyway, if I took the same people out I would be up for another $100+ each and every time. And then left to do all the work,
Bugger that
tacklenut

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:21 am

Very well said and understood,,,,now i'm having a second thought of having a boat :cry: :cry:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:37 am

That is why I go by myself most of the time.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:34 am

There is an old saying that the to happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat :)
Maybe these are some of the reasons why.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:39 am

well said TN
i have a a few people do that to me and i havent invited them out again!!

people who dont own a boat dont realize how much works involved

most of my fishing friends i got from this forum are pretty good,
pay me for fuel and bait, offer to wash the boat (but i can do it better and quicker my self at car wash but they atleast pay the $4 lol)
then dont leave till they helped me take stuff out of the boat, motor flushed, rods hosed off and boat pushed back under the car port.

if you want to take your boat out and need a deckie let me know ill help you out or you can come out on my boat if you want

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:45 am

I hate to say it, but these are probably the same people that winge about fishos leaving rubbish strewn around their fave spots, then do exactly the same thing.
For those that don't know: it is an unwritten rule, if a mate takes you finishing, guess what-you are the anchor guy, you are the one that should provide refreshments and snacks, you are the one that unhitches and hitches the boat up at the ramp, your the one that offers $50 for petrol and whatever else you used that belongs to your "mate" that owns the boat, and of course, you are there to help wash down and sort everything out after the trip.
And if you dnt at least do some or all of the above, guess what, your not a mate, your a pain in the ass!
I don't know anyone with a boat here in vic, but its just common courtesy.
Tight lines = Good Times!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:29 am

But then there are other blokes, who help to clean out your garage. Chip in for fuel and bait. Help set the boat up and load the boat on the trailer.

Return to “Boating”