setting up a new boat

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: setting up a new boat

Post by frozenpod » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 pm

brycieboy wrote:I have been wondering about the hydrofoils. dad fitted some to his boat years ago with great success, tho another mate put some on his and they made it drive worse. tho for $70 its probably worth a shot.
Being a light boat with a shallow vee it is very unlikely a foil would make your boat better.

I suggest you spend some time on the water and make sure the motor height is correct (95% are not) weight balance is correct and see what it is like.

vinalf

Post by vinalf » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Nude up wrote:I have just had a look at the stingray stealth 2 I hope you bought them in the us they are about $266 here. In the states you can buy them for $132 plus shipping. I like the fact you can try them ie no drill but did read a few reviews where they fell off but that could have been bad installation. As you use your boat more please let me know how you go.

$199 at Whitworths.

As I said it is very hard to judge but I am fairly confident that it is a little quicker onto the plane and that I am getting around 1.5 - 2 kmh extra speed for same revs. I used to cruise at 45-46 kmh at 3000 rpm. It is now doing 46-47 kmh. Looking at the rooster tail I can see it has flattened out the tail (if that makes sense) and is directing the water flow in a flatter and more directed trajectory.
I can say for sure it stays on plane longer and slower than before. So overall I am happy. As I said I was expecting wonders as it on a 4 ton boat.

Cheers

chocolatemoose

Post by chocolatemoose » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:02 pm

i vote no to hydrofoils

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:53 pm

They do what they claim and work well in the correct applicaiton.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:03 pm

frozenpod wrote:They do what they claim and work well in the correct applicaiton.
X2

It is very important to ensure they are fitted correctly and accurately, to ensure you benefit most though imo

Return to “Boating”