re design cuddy area

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: re design cuddy area

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:45 pm

Will do mate few months away for me also.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:06 pm

double post sorry........fat fingers
Last edited by blacklab99 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Got a bit of time to sort out the new screen, turns out I was wrong about the polycarbonate use for boat screens.
( somethings changed over the last 20 odd years, never had a problem back then )
The U.V make up in it is cast in place in Perspex, in poly carbonate, its just surface coated, which salt water denigrates it very quickly.
So, plan B, went for standard Perspex, only $140 per sheet, 2440x1220.. was going to take up an offer of getting it pre cut up from one of Voo Doo's contacts, but was driving past the place and just did a cash job !!!!.
Will just have to make sure the new bimini uses the same rivot spots and this time notch out properly on the Perspex where they line up in the frame.Its easy stuff to work with, slow speed on everything, jig saw to cut it out and router to put those grooves in it to lock it into the frame.
Cant do much else at the minute, boat not back yet from fibre glasser...........

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Your making progress

Boats are slow going but once you get there its great

Bm

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Gidday Barra, yeah, slow progress, bit hard without the boat in front of me, but at least getting other fit out items sorted it might speed
things along a bit.....
Getting a call from the fibre glasser once the transoms off so I can go have a wee peek, soon hopefully.......
C

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Boat not back yet, getting closer mind.
Now, I have a Stainless Rocket launcher, quite heavy duty, Which I removed before delivering the boat to the fibre glasser.
It has a bottom plate which was sitting hard onto the gunnel, 3 S/S screws through that plate, through the gunnel.
Underneath I found a piece of hardwood, glued to the underside of the gunnel, it was pretty stuffed as you could imagine, probably
been there for a good 10 years plus.
So I want to do a better more secure way of fitting it on the boats return.
Was thinking of getting some of that white cutting board stuff, 6mm odd, to put on top of the gunnel first for the rocket launcher to sit on
And maybe use a thicker piece under the gunnel for support and to add a bit of strength to tighten nuts up etc.
What has everyone else done here ? just don't like the idea of the flat base straight onto the top of the gunnel.
I mean the stress that the average rocket launcher gets put under with bimini's and trolling rods and being swung on etc
just want best practice fitting method...
idea's ?

C

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu May 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Get a stainless plate cut to size and use that in place of the hardwood?

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Brett, the base of the rocket launcher is a flat stainless plate, for that area I was wanting a thinish packer between that and the fibre glass gunnel, on the top side,,, underneath the gunnel, yeah, another plate of S/S would probably do it, but was thinking maybe a 20mm version of the
cutting board stuff ? also, having a 6mm packer under the welded plate of the rocket launcher will protect the fibreglass a bit better, but didn't want to compromise strength. there's not much give in Stainless Steel, especially with a fibreglass gunnel between two pieces screwed together.
but in all honesty, I don't even know whether putting a thin packer on the top side actually has any benefit or not ???
to tell you the truth, I've never looked at any other fitting methods before, never actually had to put one on a boat, the've all already had them.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Still no boat back yet,
So, stripped down the screen, cleaned up the old frame ( silver annodise ) and got it powder coated matt black
fitted the new acrylic, presto, ready for fitting when the boat comes back.
It came up pretty good, certainly saved some coin compared to buying a new frame,,, all up cost $200

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:20 pm

OK, bum end cut off PROGRESSS
So, transom being replaced raising it to fit a 25 inch leg motor ( a wee bit better for out wide )
I've decided to go with the plastic fuel tank, so they are just getting sizes availability for me, minimum requirement 150 ltrs.
They will then put the stringers in, to accomoadate the tank size. front bulk head is now going to be pushed forward some 300mm to be inline
with the dash board, previously set back as a step into the cuddy. That will make a huge difference in weight forward as the new 4 stroke weighs in a tad heavier than the old 2 stroke.
I have decided to completely glass in the whole floor, making it all one piece, with the acception of an inspection port giving me access at the back
to change connections on the fuel tank, interested in others thoughts on that ? I had a huge bilge area at the back, damn near fell into it when standing at the bait board,after I removed the humungas live bait tank,, so, reducing the size of that which allows for a kill tank/ storage tank of
around 700mm long......
Next mod, is not to re build the useless bunks in the cuddy cabin, I'm going to make the floor continue at the same level right through, so as to have a reasonable floor space in the cuddy which will easily fit my large esky and will use cargo type nets on the side of the cuddy for storing jackets etc.
It was a useless cuddy set up in the first place, even with the centre board in, my legs hung over the end whenever I tried to get a bit of shut eye, So I should be able to just roll out a swag with the floor being level right thru.
Along with blanking off the dash and also around the engine well, so I have a blank canvas when fitting new motor and electronics......
I'll get out there in another 2-3 weeks and take some more pic's for those interested in having a look....
C

Return to “Boating”