Should these be patched or repaired?

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Should these be patched or repaired?

Post by sturgeon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:10 pm

Oh dear. Sounds difficult. I thought just a gel coat touch up for the keel and maybe some white silicone sealant for the end cap area.

How much would it cost to get someone to fix it?

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:20 pm

I think some of the recommendations here a little over the top for the damage I perceive in the photos. I prefer to use epoxy and filler to make a paste (particularly on non horizontal surfaces) but as always there are more than one way to skin a cat.

I only gave this a cursory look but all the info you need seems to be here. https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-repai ... oat#page-6

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:14 am

A-a-ron wrote:Working with fibreglass daily, I’d recommend that if you wanted to fix it up to grab some fibreglass sheets and some gel coat. Make sure the fibreglass is 10mm or so over the whole section to ensure it has some strength and you roll it out to get the air bubbles out, don’t be afraid to throw a couple sheets on it as it can be sanded back to be level and then you can gel coat it. Fibreglass will need to be scuffed up for gel coat to stick, just as a tip so you don’t glass it then try paint it. Be careful of making a hot mix of resin and gel coat because it can set pretty quickly and reach temps of 140oC plus it’ll melt plastic..
It's not a big scratch. How do I use sheets to fix it? Won't I be pasting the sheet onto a large part of the undamaged gel coat and then have to sand that down?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:20 am

skronkman wrote:I think some of the recommendations here a little over the top for the damage I perceive in the photos. I prefer to use epoxy and filler to make a paste (particularly on non horizontal surfaces) but as always there are more than one way to skin a cat.

I only gave this a cursory look but all the info you need seems to be here. https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-repai ... oat#page-6
Makes it look easy to fix if your a handy sort of guy

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 am

sturgeon wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Working with fibreglass daily, I’d recommend that if you wanted to fix it up to grab some fibreglass sheets and some gel coat. Make sure the fibreglass is 10mm or so over the whole section to ensure it has some strength and you roll it out to get the air bubbles out, don’t be afraid to throw a couple sheets on it as it can be sanded back to be level and then you can gel coat it. Fibreglass will need to be scuffed up for gel coat to stick, just as a tip so you don’t glass it then try paint it. Be careful of making a hot mix of resin and gel coat because it can set pretty quickly and reach temps of 140oC plus it’ll melt plastic..
It's not a big scratch. How do I use sheets to fix it? Won't I be pasting the sheet onto a large part of the undamaged gel coat and then have to sand that down?
Is it just the gel coat that’s cracked off and no cracks to the actual fibersglass structure? Little hard to judge off photos. But yea you’d have to paste a sheet on and then sand it back so it looked like new if that’s what you wanted to do.

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Here's a close up. The deep scratch is 3 cm Long. How urgently shd I get this fixed? Can I take it out to the water for a few more times or should I get it fixed asap without going on the water until it is done?
Attachments
You_Doodle_2018-02-25T06_27_31Z.jpg

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Mum always used to say 'a stitch in time saves 9'.....if you go to a surf shop, you can pick up small ding kits for jobs like this. If you want peace of mind, stick some heavy duty duct tape or gaffer tape over the scratch and it will temporarily seal it until you fix it properly.

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Mattblack wrote:Mum always used to say 'a stitch in time saves 9'.....if you go to a surf shop, you can pick up small ding kits for jobs like this. If you want peace of mind, stick some heavy duty duct tape or gaffer tape over the scratch and it will temporarily seal it until you fix it properly.

Thanks! That is an idea!

On that thought, how about slapping on some sikaflex marine sealant? Would that work or would it come off in the water?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:54 am

Sikaflex is pretty good stuff but it might be difficult to remove later. Being a brand new boat, I'd fix it straight away...(even if you cheat and try this stuff out http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/MagicEzy- ... ght/520310)

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks for the input. I just did a quick and temporary job for the keel with sikaflex marine sealant. Not pretty but I hope it would at least seal it for time being. Will bring it to the dealer to fix it next couple of weeks.
Attachments
You_Doodle_2018-02-27T02_26_42Z.jpg
You_Doodle_2018-02-27T02_26_21Z.jpg

Return to “Boating”