Trailer movers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Trailer movers

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:27 am

Trumpeter wrote:Thanks for the input, luckily I don't have to move it far so either a manual or cheap 12v model will be fine. I've found a US one you crank called a Trailer Valet, for my purposes looks ideal -and no battery required.
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/trailer ... 14939.html
Doesn’t look too bad that one :thumbsup:

tracks

Post by tracks » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:40 am

If you have room and it's a straight driveway and want to make it real easy to get your boat up, there are plenty of cheap 4x4 12v winches around now, just dyna bolt it at the end of driveway, make a bridle for rear of trailer, they all have remotes now so you can guide her up no worries.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:35 pm

tracks wrote:If you have room and it's a straight driveway and want to make it real easy to get your boat up, there are plenty of cheap 4x4 12v winches around now, just dyna bolt it at the end of driveway, make a bridle for rear of trailer, they all have remotes now so you can guide her up no worries.
How do you get it the oppisite way

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 pm

What's wrong with a tow bar on the front of your vehicle????
You can see exactly what the trailer is doing
My father in law used it 40 years ago with boats, caravans & trailers
His driveway was narrow and steep (bad incline anyway)
Cheers Gra

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:24 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mattblack wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:I'll be interested to see how you go with these.

I'm in the same position with an approx 30m long driveway on a slight slope. Not sure the cheaper options will make it up the slope in anything more than a snails pace.

I've seen some options that are in the 1k + mark.
6 meters a minute over 30 meters = 1 beer :thumbsup:
Exactly almost 30 mins to move that far lol
Almost 2 beers
Well I’ve learnt 2 things tonight. You can’t do maths and you drink bloody slow. Lol.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:44 am

Texas wrote:What's wrong with a tow bar on the front of your vehicle????
You can see exactly what the trailer is doing
My father in law used it 40 years ago with boats, caravans & trailers
His driveway was narrow and steep (bad incline anyway)
Cheers Gra
More expensive, less control

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 pm

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Hi All

I've moved to a new house where the garage opening's are a really tight fit for my boat so was thinking of getting a trailer mover so I can manoeuvre precisely without scraping the gunnels on the bricks. The boat's a little heavy to push around easily on my own. They start from about $125 for a basic Alko ratchet type and go up from there. Anybody used or have one they can recommend or avoid?
I got the ark brand from supercheap auto when it was on sale for that $125. You can ratchet move it over short distances but not over long distance. The gear ratio is too small. Also, if there is any incline, you might have issues unhooking your trailer because the wheel does not shorten as much as non-ratchet wheels. I chose this wheel because the shaft is directly over the axle which makes it easier to turn the wheel and I think it should be stronger than off center versions. I usually use it to just for final adjustments. The most I have ever moved it is about 10-20 cm. The main reason I got this wheel is so that I can make these final and minor adjustments easily. It is possible to make these small adjustments with normal jockey wheel, but the wheel is small and it is hard to turn the wheel and then I have to heave the boat to move it in the direction I want. With this, no more issues.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Great idea

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:31 pm

sturgeon wrote:
Trumpeter wrote:Hi All

I've moved to a new house where the garage opening's are a really tight fit for my boat so was thinking of getting a trailer mover so I can manoeuvre precisely without scraping the gunnels on the bricks. The boat's a little heavy to push around easily on my own. They start from about $125 for a basic Alko ratchet type and go up from there. Anybody used or have one they can recommend or avoid?
I got the ark brand from supercheap auto when it was on sale for that $125. You can ratchet move it over short distances but not over long distance. The gear ratio is too small. Also, if there is any incline, you might have issues unhooking your trailer because the wheel does not shorten as much as non-ratchet wheels. I chose this wheel because the shaft is directly over the axle which makes it easier to turn the wheel and I think it should be stronger than off center versions. I usually use it to just for final adjustments. The most I have ever moved it is about 10-20 cm. The main reason I got this wheel is so that I can make these final and minor adjustments easily. It is possible to make these small adjustments with normal jockey wheel, but the wheel is small and it is hard to turn the wheel and then I have to heave the boat to move it in the direction I want. With this, no more issues.
That doesn’t sound like a bad idea.
Glad it worked out for you :)

Return to “Boating”