Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Tinnie vs kayak upgrade

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Seb85 wrote: Towing is much easier and quicker.
Kayaks don't need much maintenance too, plastics don't rust, no cleaning required. :)
But yeah, I might find boating has it's own troubles. So far, it's money, lol. Boat+trailer, license, tow bar.
I trailer my kayak and not roof top so do most of the guys I fish with - quicker set up and no salt water being dumped on the roof of the car
the box built on the trailer carries all my wet gear so the car doesn't smell like a fish market
That's a good idea actually, towing the kayaks. Make the preps easier and might change the perception.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:29 am

As another option consideration Seb85 - is looking into a portabote.

I was in similar circumstances to you and opted to go this route and get one (4 person model + 5.5hp engine) + i found a metal worker who made up/engineered an outboard trolley that i can fit into my towbar (dont have to carry outboard in car). Significant pro's for me were

- having a watercraft i could take people out with me
- as a renter and not owning (aka not having guaranteed space to store a tinny), i can easily store it in a garage with minimal space footprint
- can carry via roof racks without exhaustive effort
- flexibility to fish majority of freshwater situations (+ light saltwater, havent done this yet)
- can have some of the functional bells and whistles of a tinny
- no paddling = lots less mental and physical effort in scoping and changing locations

They are listed on gumtree with some frequency in differing prices/location - but i opted for all new and did it all for under 5k. Gumtree you may be able to achieve for under 3.5k.

Havent used as much as i would have liked to, but its been a pretty fantastic improvement over my last craft (and of course a list of pros and cons vs other options all subject to your needs). There are a number of places to get more information and reviews via google, but happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers, Chris

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:As another option consideration Seb85 - is looking into a portabote.

I was in similar circumstances to you and opted to go this route and get one (4 person model + 5.5hp engine) + i found a metal worker who made up/engineered an outboard trolley that i can fit into my towbar (dont have to carry outboard in car). Significant pro's for me were

- having a watercraft i could take people out with me
- as a renter and not owning (aka not having guaranteed space to store a tinny), i can easily store it in a garage with minimal space footprint
- can carry via roof racks without exhaustive effort
- flexibility to fish majority of freshwater situations (+ light saltwater, havent done this yet)
- can have some of the functional bells and whistles of a tinny
- no paddling = lots less mental and physical effort in scoping and changing locations

They are listed on gumtree with some frequency in differing prices/location - but i opted for all new and did it all for under 5k. Gumtree you may be able to achieve for under 3.5k.

Havent used as much as i would have liked to, but its been a pretty fantastic improvement over my last craft (and of course a list of pros and cons vs other options all subject to your needs). There are a number of places to get more information and reviews via google, but happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers, Chris
Wow! Didn't know such thing exists.
How tough/stable is it? Especially the hull.
Does it need a boat rego?? And boat licence. Specially with outboard on.
Last edited by Sebb on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:05 pm

First time for me too! Never heard of such a thing...interesting :)

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Seb85 wrote: Wow! Didn't know such thing exists.
You might have already googled the site of the sole Australian distributor - here is a FAQ page (+others) that explains stability better than i can https://www.porta-bote.com.au/faq-stability.htm. I organised purchase though the contact details on that site - its run by an older gentleman somewhere in nsw from memory.

Needs all the cost requirements (licence, rego, minimum safety gear) associated with a solid hull boat if you are putting an engine on it - but its not that expensive overall.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:16 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Seb85 wrote: Wow! Didn't know such thing exists.
You might have already googled the site of the sole Australian distributor - here is a FAQ page (+others) that explains stability better than i can https://www.porta-bote.com.au/faq-stability.htm. I organised purchase though the contact details on that site - its run by an older gentleman somewhere in nsw from memory.

Needs all the cost requirements (licence, rego, minimum safety gear) associated with a solid hull boat if you are putting an engine on it - but its not that expensive overall.
Sounds awesome.
I assume will need a boat license too, once it's motorised.
I checked the website, they'll be in Caravan, Camping & Touring Supershow in Flemington 20-25 Feb. I might go and check.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:15 pm

I reckon once you start talking about towing, then the argument of boat v kayak is over. Boat every day of the week and if you choose a small lightweight model, you can get into pretty much everywhere a kayak can anyway.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm

Hey Seb85, i was in your situation a few years ago. I have a 4.1m Kingfisher kayak (i believe cheaterparts has the same Yak) and quite enjoyed it but i was always looking around at tinny's. Mostly because my fishing time is limited and i wanted something that i could use in slightly worse weather and to also get to the fishing spots fast.

In the end i made the plunge and got myself a Savage Kestrel 4.2m with a 25 Merc. tiller steer and never looked back. The ability to take a couple of mates out with me was worth the price alone IMO.

I have since upgraded to a Haines Hunter but that was only because i got an offer that was too good to pass up otherwise i would have been more than happy to keep the tinny.

I have not used my kayak at all since getting a boat.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:20 pm
Hey Seb85, i was in your situation a few years ago. I have a 4.1m Kingfisher kayak (i believe cheaterparts has the same Yak) and quite enjoyed it but i was always looking around at tinny's. Mostly because my fishing time is limited and i wanted something that i could use in slightly worse weather and to also get to the fishing spots fast.

In the end i made the plunge and got myself a Savage Kestrel 4.2m with a 25 Merc. tiller steer and never looked back. The ability to take a couple of mates out with me was worth the price alone IMO.

I have since upgraded to a Haines Hunter but that was only because i got an offer that was too good to pass up otherwise i would have been more than happy to keep the tinny.

I have not used my kayak at all since getting a boat.
Mate, that is exactly my situation, whether to take the leap or not.
True, being able to take other people (fisho or not) is a plus.
And yes, a lot of people have told me that I can still keep and use the kayak but I doubt. Glad to hear from someone that had the same dilemma.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Boating”