re design cuddy area

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

re design cuddy area

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Soon about to embark on re doing stringers/ floor, moving fuel tanks forward to transfer weight a tad and make room for a kill tank at the back, plus new transom, raising it also to take 25 inch leg and up grading to a four stroke. this is going to be painful on the back pocket.
All the flooring and side cuddy seats have been removed, water was entering via the main winch eyelit, it seems others thought a bit of urethane
would fix it ! Never stopping to think it wouldn't seal if behind it was rotted !!!! :down:
So, really wracking my head to change the set up in the cuddy. I never sit in there, its pretty small being a short cuddy, but you can slide a center
board in between the side seats and catch a sleep quite comfortably. Trying to work out how to still keep the sleep option, but do away completely
with the side seats and convert it to some USEFULL storage ! like all cuddies, with everything out, its an awkward space.
Have thought of having a "false floor", higher up, so to speak, so there would be underneath storage for eskies etc and effectively an above storage
area for rod and tackle, down riggers etc above ! A bit hard to explain it really, but trying to really clear the decks, especially for when out wide.
The old storage area under the cuddy seats, was pretty well useless really, don't need to much access for anchoring as I have a push button winch.
So really trying to come up with a good idea, and a more practical use of the space....
anyone done similar ? or thought about doing so ???

C

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: re design cuddy area

Post by bowl » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Nah never done it.
But it would be tip top if you could put up some pics of the works, You r doing on the the boat.
Good luck.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Extra fuel capicity?
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi guys, sorry for late reply,
" extra fuel capacity" Still working on what the capacity will be, had a quick measure yesterday and with moving the bulk head forward
around 250mm, in line with dash, a tank 1800 long still gives me a 750 kill tank/storage at the rear, shortening the bilge area a tad, should work out to around 150 litres, which with a four stroke, should get by with that.
I've left it to the fibre glasser to come up with an alternative in the cuddy area rather than rebuild the bunks, will see him when I drop the boat
off next week to see what idea's he comes up with. Look it might not be for everyone, but having that area dedicated to storage, sure cleans up
the deck area, which has huge benefits in it self, Just a matter of how we do the lay out ! The amount of tackle boxes, lures, extra jackets, down rigger and even extra rods etc sure mounts up, to have dedicated spaces to contain and stack things I recon will work for me.. if we get the lay out right. Will definitely post up pic's of the work. It maybe that we do a simple layout, first up when stringers and floor and transom is done, then modify afterwards. He's doing some trial builds of some seat pods with live bait tanks etc and will have the boat back there to get one fitted, so I
can re modify the cuddy area then...... all interesting stuff anyway....
C

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Good luck

I will be starting a sililiar thing soon
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:28 pm

Can anyone recommend someone for a re wire job on a boat ????
I don't mind endulging, just re wired my old brit bike, but I wont be attempting the boat,
I know my limitations LOL

C

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:33 pm

Make sure you put some pic's up boy's,be interesting project's to follow :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:45 pm

drew 2 wrote:Make sure you put some pic's up boy's,be interesting project's to follow :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will do, I'm not doing any of the fibreglass work, but he will take pic's for me during the process.
then I'll take pic's of how I finish it off etc

C

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Ok, this was the start of the strip down.
the floor was made out of Masonite, supposedly cruise craft used this product as most of the reef finders went to far north queensland and
the theory was that the humidity played havoc with ply floor ( that's what I was told )

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:28 pm

you can see that the stringers are basically just sitting there, what fibre glass was on them, basically pulled off

Return to “Boating”