re design cuddy area

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: re design cuddy area

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Cheers marty.
I must admit, the business next door saw me scale the fence, with base ball bat in hand it was a bit of a red faced moment ! but they were cool about it and have had numerous people turn up and take their boats back. Don't know what the out come will be, I'm not concerned about the 3 k deposit at the minute, but after speaking with club marine, I may not have an insurance claim approved if either further damage or indeed structural damage has occurred with it weathering outside and knee deep of water and mould inside the boat, that would come under his insurance, which I don't know if he even has.
He's caught wind of what's happening and he's just texted me pleading for another chance and promising to have it finished in 3 weeks !
How can I even trust a cowboy like that and how could I even be sure of hidden stringer and transom work was done properly.
I've replied for him to not ouch the boat, leave it where it is, until he is contacted by either myself or the marina management. I am legally liable entering the marina and self repossessing my property unless a representative is present or the police with a court warrant ! the marina manager/owner is away till Monday, in the mean time if the guy gets annoyed and takes it out on my boat, again, I may not be covered by insurance because any such action would be under his insurance claim ! im caught between a rock and a hard place till sometime Monday.
I had the bolt cutters with me to get the 10 foot fence open, but there were 3 other boats blocking mine and I didn't want to be liable if I attempted to shift someone else's boat and damage occurred.
insurance have said to get it out as quick as possible, get it to another fibre glasser for a written assessment, then an insurance assessor will be sent out to look at the boat, its whether or not they decide to accept any claim, or put their recovery team on to the case to go the guy.
Hopefully, there's no extra damage, but my gunnel shelves are swelling, there's black mould through out and all over the switch gear for the anchor winch etc etc plus I've no idea what if any damage would be done with the actual boat sitting with a hull full of water with no floor or stringers in.
geeez.....!!!!!!

cheers
colin

guss

Post by guss » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi mate. I went through a similar thing a few months ago .. do you want to send me a pm with the dude's name?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Holy ****! I've got no words right now

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Mate f**k me your in a tough situation why the hell can't your insurance company help to get the boat out!!! It seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't it makes no sense. I had a guy hit my car in a carpark then he laughed at me saying good luck getting any money as he wasn't insured and the car was unregistered so after mocking me I slammed his face into the top of his doorframe, justice was served :-D :-D :-D

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm

yeah, its not really an insurance matter, until you lodge a claim, listen, the internals may be perfectly fine, don't know !.
interestingly, he has replied to my text to tell him not to touch my boat, saying he understood my position, but commented that I told him right from the beginning that He could take his time, ( which I did, but 6 months ! ) and somehow, phoning him every two weeks since may, cant understand why I wont let him do the work ! One word, CON MAN, with the gift of the gab. He doesn't want to deal with marina management ! will only take instructions on the next step from me !. I'm intending to still go through management and get them to instruct him to give me clear access for my boat removal probably Tuesday morning and to have them present at the time, then confront him about my 3k deposit once I pull the boat from the yard. Personally, I'd rather give him 3k worth of a kicking !
Once I get it out, the insurance company need a report if there has been any water damage internally, but they cant give me a yay or nay whether they will approve any such claim. My main concern, is if the volume of water, which is draining very slowly on its own, got so high that it did any form of hull damage, with regard to share volume, with the boat having no floor or stringers, I mean a boat is designed for the pressure from the outside, not from the inside with out the reinforcement, dunno
Anyways, it sounds as though at least this guy wont throw the toys out of the cot and deliberately damage my boat, so I have to wait, probably till Monday now for a phone call from owner/manager of the marina, then arrange access and arrange a pick up time.
I cannot believe his ignorance and complete oblivious reaction, to anything wrong attitude ! He doesn't know his neighbouring buisnesess have informed me about the dozens of other poor bugga's that have repossessed there boats and lost their deposits.
I'm going to see this through to the end and make sure this p**** doesn't do the same to anyone one else, mark my words !

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi Colin,
I can feel your pain, I'm also having similar problems, but, not with a fibreglasser.
Does he advertise a a member of organization, like a builder is a member of the HIA.
Many years ago I received compensation from the HIA, because the builder advertised as a member (even though he wasn't).
Retrieve your boat & be reasonably nice about it, after you have it, there are ways to "get back at him".
PM me his details & I will start studying.

Hope I can help
Gra

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Texas, hope you sort out your current issue !
Yes, am being very careful in the way I retrieve my boat, hence trying to work with marina owners to get them to participate in the actual removal. That's my primary concern, getting my boat out safely, without him feeling " caught out" or like I will take matters further, no deposit refund in my two text's to him have mentioned, his track record indicates he does not refund, or indeed promises to when he can get some money together ( which he never does ). I prefer someone independent being there on removal, hopefully a marina representation, so once boat is safely removed, there are independent witnesses to the event and the condition of the boat. his continuation on trading there is up to the other businesses fronting up to the marina management/owner and repeating what they told me, I'm pretty confident that will happen because I've had discussions with the two biggest and one has since phoned me back to see if I made an official complaint.
I did some research and he was correct in the fact he served his apprenticeship with Cruise Craft, indeed on the model boat I own, which was the deciding factor to choose him. His business is advertised under the banner of the marina, as are all the businesses located on the site, the marina promotes these businesses on there website and of course own the buildings and lease them to all businesses based there. So I believe its in there best interest to investigate and act should a business in there site be trading, some what questionably !!!!!
I'd prefer to hold off any of his details, even the marina location until the boat is safely back in my hands and I see which or what action the marina owner chooses to take, liability can some times be a *****, especially for the innocent parties like me. But rest assured, if the marina doesn't sanction him or take action to protect their name or brushes this under the carpet, They will regret it !
If the boat has in any way suffered to the detriment, club marine have said they will look at it once a claim has been lodged, no confirmation on whether they will pass it on to their recovery team, or approve any claim, which was quite alarming to say the least.
I asked them about lay up insurance during this " renovation non use period " which is a cheaper rate, but they wanted me to keep it fully insured because I was taking it to another site for fibre glass work, and any damage incurred would be under his insurance, but if he doesn't have insurance, and I admit, I didn't ask, I took it for granted since he was based at a marina, then I may not be covered at all !!!! the continuation of a full insurance policy was effectively because it had to be driven there.
first step, boat out with independent witnesses, second step get boat assessed for any damage, third step wait for marina to act
If this is brushed under the carpet and I don't get the 3k back, THEN and only then will I take matters into my own hands, either way, he will not do this to another innocent boatie, this I will promise !!

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Anyway, to change the topic to a more lighter subject, or to really forget my upcoming battle over the boat.
One of the many projects or things I tinker with, A penn senator 4/0 13h vintage, ready for anything you want to throw at it.
upgraded with all stainless internals, Tiburon one piece, doing away with the old posts and of course new drags.
This is the 3rd one I've upgraded, including a 6/0, which has already proved itself on blue fin.
basically a $60 40 year old classic reel, with about $250 of upgrades, which will handle what ever you throw at it..........

guss

Post by guss » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Black lab how did you pay the deposit? Was it cash or by credit card?

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:32 pm

Unfortunately it was Cash, I know, kicking myself now !
Once handed over, came his planned response, my computors down now, but give me your email address, I'll email a receipt and plus I can forward you updated pictures of every step of what we do blah blah blah. The gift of the gab and shocking lies he spewed out even fooled me ! and I normally am a good judge of people and have never been fleesed before.
The 3k deposit is down the list of concerns at the minute, getting the boat and getting marina management involved and making sure I don't loose control and end up arrested are my first priorities...... LOL
But certainly would have made things easier had I paid another way......

Return to “Boating”