I need your help with boat choice...

ncr1

Re: I need your help with boat choice...

Post by ncr1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:07 am

I'm guessing no one on this forum owns, or has been on a Savage Mako before, because it's a brilliant boat and should be high on the recommendation list here. I've spent many hours in my old man's hull in Westernport, offshore (over the shelf) and even Bemm River. They're a brilliant ride in rough and messy conditions. The only downsides to this boat is a tendency to be a little nose heavy at times and has a relatively small cabin space. But this is made up for by one of the biggest deck spaces for a 5.5m hull.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:40 pm

I've got a Toyota Landcruiser V8 Twin Turbo, but the boat will be stored undercover at the local marina (doesnt fit at home)

I've actually just decided on purchasing a 2004 Sportscraft 185 with a 1999 Johnson 115HP for $19,000. The rig has GPS and FF, Bimini. Everything else is stock. Boat condition is A1, but engine is old(er). Havent paid the guy deposit yet, but planning to tomorrow.

However in the meantime this 1990 Cruise Craft Explorer 565 came about in Eden. Rigged up to the tits with anchor winch, Sarca 3, clears and fronts, deck wash, 180l fuel tank, EPIRB, radios, customized inside transom with storage, 2003 Yamaha 130HP. He's had it since new but has a broken hip now. He wants $20k
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1107366438

I'm torn once again

PS: no decent HH around for the budget

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 pm

ChrisAbout wrote:I've got a Toyota Landcruiser V8 Twin Turbo, but the boat will be stored undercover at the local marina (doesnt fit at home)

I've actually just decided on purchasing a 2004 Sportscraft 185 with a 1999 Johnson 115HP for $19,000. The rig has GPS and FF, Bimini. Everything else is stock. Boat condition is A1, but engine is old(er). Havent paid the guy deposit yet, but planning to tomorrow.

However in the meantime this 1990 Cruise Craft Explorer 565 came about in Eden. Rigged up to the tits with anchor winch, Sarca 3, clears and fronts, deck wash, 180l fuel tank, EPIRB, radios, customized inside transom with storage, 2003 Yamaha 130HP. He's had it since new but has a broken hip now. He wants $20k
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1107366438

I'm torn once again

PS: no decent HH around for the budget
That second option sounds like a beauty as well... Can see why you are torn between the two!

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 pm

I love it, seems to have pretty high freeboard and transom, so is good for my kids. But I'm just weary about the old hull...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:13 am

Have you decided which one you are going to go with mate?

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:25 pm

I haven't actually, I pulled out of buying the Sportscraft and now I am back to square 1.

Have 25k and cant find a boat.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Plenty out there.

With your budget I would be looking for a late 80's early 90's haines or similar that has been repowered, reasonably new trailer ect.

At 25k you will most likely end up with a 2 stroke which is fine as the older boats were designed around them and they are often a better match to the hull.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:30 pm

Quite frustrating actually, I've been spending all my nights searching for bloody boats for the past 2 weeks and I'm getting sick of it. I think my problem is I read too much into it, trying to find the perfect boat, when in fact all I want is something better than my old 1972 Cruise Craft Rogue 14 that can take me and another mate tuna fishing at Portland and bay fishing around Melbourne.

If I can find something sub $20k and utilize the remaining $5k to rig it up and buy myself some game fishing equipment, then I would be happy.

If I can find something that fits in my 6.5m long x 2.5m tall garage, its a bonus.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm

I've seen blokes trolling for tuna and kingies around Portland in rigs as small as Haines Signature 493RF.

Theres plenty of 5m rigs that fit my requirements, but I've been told that if I want to go offshore I need something bigger than 6m.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:47 pm

It takes time mate. I remember when I was looking around for my new boat it took me ages to decide.

Return to “Boating”