Searching for the impossible

kahlua_khan

Searching for the impossible

Post by kahlua_khan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 pm

G'day. I have a feeling the answer to the question I'm about to ask is a resounding "no", but I thought I would have a crack and ask it anyway.

I have a single car garage at home where I currently have my boat stored. I am thinking of getting a camper trailer as well, but I have no where to store it other than the same garage. So that got me thinking about the possibility of a car topper that could go on the top of the camper trailer, and perhaps a folding trailer for when I wanted to take just the boat by itself. The other limiting factor is that there are five of us (two adults and three kids under 10), that need to be able to fit into the boat safely on rivers, lakes and close in shore around areas like willy footy club on PPB.

Does anyone know if such a set up is possible? I know car toppers and camper trailers can be done, but I would assume those boats would be far too small for 5 people. Anyone have any thoughts?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Searching for the impossible

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 pm

What size boat do you have?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:42 pm

It's definitely doable. I've seen it done and considered it myself. But it has quite a few detractors.

Eg. You can't launch the boat if your tent is setup. ( fine if camping at a river etc where you can leave the boat in the water)

Putting boat on trailer ain't that easy with the frame above you

Have a good search on Google. The best answer would be a removable boat "roof top" frame so you can detach it from the trailer at your destination.

Edit, Apologies. I misread the post.

This link explains what I was talking about though. It may help you out.

https://youtu.be/o1FMu6a01aI

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

Coincidentally, i was just browsing around on Gumtree and came across this ad that kinda sounds like what you want to do (if i've understood correctly) even if its not 100% a camper trailer. I went back this morning and found the link - might give you an idea or two;

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bendigo ... 1142439630
Attachments
Boat Tent.JPG
Boat Tent.JPG (68.88 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Az.

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am

What size boat do you have?
I've got a 4.5 m Stacer tinnie at the moment. Not that heavy or big but all the weight is in he motor.

kahlua_khan

Post by kahlua_khan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 am

Coincidentally, i was just browsing around on Gumtree and came across this ad that kinda sounds like what you want to do (if i've understood correctly) even if its not 100% a camper trailer. I went back this morning and found the link - might give you an idea or two
This link explains what I was talking about though. It may help you out.
Great resources, thanks for that. I'd been solely thinking the other way around (e.g. Camper on the bottom with boat on the top). This makes more sense in terms of still having a useable boat when you don't want to use the camper.

bigdan91

Post by bigdan91 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:52 pm

I recently bought a 3.3m inflatable. Goes on the roofrack of my car and then i put the outboard in the rear seat footwell

Suits my adventures may be an option for you. Would probably want a bit bigger though maybe 3.8m

Return to “Boating”