Dash setup.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Dash setup.

Post by bowl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:52 pm

barra mick wrote:Get the biggest sounder you can afford

Dont cut into the boat.....mount it off the bracket

When you driving along you will get to love the big screen

If you have to cut.....dont do it after 10 beers.
Lol :victory:

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:26 pm

I would suggest a gimbal mount from the flat level section behind the wheel and move the gauges so you can still see everything. I went panel mount 6 years ago and when it started to play up about 6 months ago, I got rather concerned what I could put back into the same hole as that series of sounder is now obsolete and I am a bit like you, do not have a heap of real-estate to play with on the dash.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:02 pm

If it's the same dimensions and profile as the Belmont you won't fit anything over 4 inches at above where the current sounder and gauges are due to the angle of the windscreen.

Also if you were to remount a new one in the dash (disregarding that anything bigger will need gauges moved/deleted) I find the angle of the dash to vertical to see adequately whilst standing, also prone to reflections on screens . Ofcourse this is a moot point if you only drive whilst seated.

Same goes for the small "step" between wheel panel and gauge/sounder panel. Also, the step is to narrow for a lot of mounting brackets.

Only real option is on the passenger side. Dad's Belmont came with a grab rail. When there was 2 units, the smaller bracket was mounted on a platform behind the rail and the other (sounder) mounted on a ram bracket angled towards the driver. Now with the single 9" it's on the ram mount. Another advantage of this is there's less preexisting wiring behind the dash and down the side of the boat on the passenger side. Can be easily seen regardless of standing or seated and is easy enough to adjust when on the move. If I was near the parents place I'd take a couple of pics to show.

For the dash when the old sounder is deleted, track down a piece of carbon fibre look alike perspex, cut to size and sikaflex it to the panel, cut the gauge holes out and remount them then mount a vhf radio, CD player or a good, decent size compass to fill out the new blank space.

bowl

Post by bowl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 pm

cobby wrote:If it's the same dimensions and profile as the Belmont you won't fit anything over 4 inches at above where the current sounder and gauges are due to the angle of the windscreen.

Also if you were to remount a new one in the dash (disregarding that anything bigger will need gauges moved/deleted) I find the angle of the dash to vertical to see adequately whilst standing, also prone to reflections on screens . Ofcourse this is a moot point if you only drive whilst seated.

Same goes for the small "step" between wheel panel and gauge/sounder panel. Also, the step is to narrow for a lot of mounting brackets.

Only real option is on the passenger side. Dad's Belmont came with a grab rail. When there was 2 units, the smaller bracket was mounted on a platform behind the rail and the other (sounder) mounted on a ram bracket angled towards the driver. Now with the single 9" it's on the ram mount. Another advantage of this is there's less preexisting wiring behind the dash and down the side of the boat on the passenger side. Can be easily seen regardless of standing or seated and is easy enough to adjust when on the move. If I was near the parents place I'd take a couple of pics to show.

For the dash when the old sounder is deleted, track down a piece of carbon fibre look alike perspex, cut to size and sikaflex it to the panel, cut the gauge holes out and remount them then mount a vhf radio, CD player or a good, decent size compass to fill out the new blank space.
Will take current sounder navman out,
N think garmin echo 5 in gap just...

Weighing up if to just use current gap for just ,navioncs charts use on drivers side,so just find cheaper g.ps 4or 5, n on.passenger side of boat put 7or 9 inch just for sounding, most likely on.bracket n on angle towards driver....

bowl

Post by bowl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

images (31).jpg
images (31).jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Need to go shop n.suss them out

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:49 pm

That sounds very much like comes from experience Mick..

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:39 pm

If that was my dash bowl, I'd be pulling out the sounder and speedo, and sticking a lowrance elite 9 ti in there. They come with sonar, downscan, sidescan, and gps, and are very reasonably priced I reckon and come with everything. With gps, you don't need the speedo. A little more than you probably wanted to spend, but do yourself a favour and save your pennies and make do for now and make your purchase in anticipation for next season bud. You may pick up a bargain at the boat show maybe? Good luck.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:55 pm

CarlG wrote:

That sounds very much like comes from experience Mick..
I got the same talk from mick when I told him I have to cut a 3.5" hole in my boat only it was around red wine.

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:06 am

bowl wrote:
images (31).jpg
Need to go shop n.suss them out
I have used a lot of the one on the RH side and they are good. I use them to mount screens in trucks, some of which are relatively heavy and they are don't move.

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Pal,
I was upgrading the electronics on my boat a couple of years ago from original to modern. Here's what I ended up doing. I wanted the ability to touch the screen without having to stretch too far. Be able to swivel so people good see whats on the screen sitting next to me round the table. Also good flexible movement to avoid glare for me and others looking at it. I believe though on modern sounders this is heaps better. Easy to plug in and access the plugs as I remove it after use and lock it away. Also I wanted to look straight at it not sideways or down. I don't like looking down at the sounder and then up to see where I'm going. I find it it easier to look through the screen, see the sounder and then out through window.
Sounder pics 6.jpg
Sounder pics 6.jpg (42.24 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Here is a pic of the dash and you can see the old sounder tucked away down below. As you can see there was not much option in the dash its pretty busy. I thought about using the old spot but again I felt it was too low.
So what to do. I went to the 2013 boat show and went shopping. I got to speak to all the brand salesmen and just picked all there brains. All the features, benefits, warranties etc, how to mount it and two would do all the work( 'Im not a handymen).
I ended up with a Simrad NSS EVO Gen 11 mounted on dash with a ram mount.
I used the Ram mount system, It was very solid. This seemed the best option, because the sounder was heavy 12 inch version. I was concerned about the weight and bouncing etc. Looking and my mounting point it looked a bit bit weak. So we put a plate in behind the fiber glass to give it strength.
The sounder mount is fully adjustable, so I can swivel around all angles something that makes set ups easy as well with cables etc. The rubber grommet is just a door stop to take some of the weight, this works fine and was cheap.
Sounder pics 5.jpg
Sounder pics 5.jpg (37.6 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Sounder pics 2.jpg
Sounder pics 2.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Sounder pics 3.jpg
Sounder pics 3.jpg (40.84 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Sounder pics4.jpg
Sounder pics4.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Sounder pics 1.jpg
Sounder pics 1.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 420 times
I met a guy at the boat show called Moose. He works at Regal marine and new a **** load and seemed a good guy. He helped me personally set up my system from wiring through mounting and then he came out on my boat and help me set up as well. He has now started his own business just around the corner from me in Chelsea. He is one of those guy who loves to help, positive, easy to deal with, not pushy. I think he has access to every brand.I would be happy to pass on his details if you like. If you haven't purchased on e the boat is great place as they have all the new gear and you can spend the day there checking and comparing all models.
I am very happy with the Simrad, I love it. Not the cheapest but I have never thought of the features as not amazing. I do a lot of boating, and the Simrad is just brilliant. Also I believe there is a new model coming. Get the biggest you can, I use split screens a lot and the bigger picture is awesome. I am 50 this year and eyes aren't as good as the used to be.
Sorry if I banged on a bit

Return to “Boating”