Dash setup.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Dash setup.

Post by purple5ive » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50 am

Moose is very helpfull. I got all my electronics from.him when he was a regal.marine.

Brenton. How big a sounder are you getting??

I personally would just move the gauges to the right and install sounder on the left. And cover up the holes with fibreglass or use vinyl stickers to cover it up

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:20 am

Mustang38 wrote:Hi Pal,
I was upgrading the electronics on my boat a couple of years ago from original to modern. Here's what I ended up doing. I wanted the ability to touch the screen without having to stretch too far. Be able to swivel so people good see whats on the screen sitting next to me round the table. Also good flexible movement to avoid glare for me and others looking at it. I believe though on modern sounders this is heaps better. Easy to plug in and access the plugs as I remove it after use and lock it away. Also I wanted to look straight at it not sideways or down. I don't like looking down at the sounder and then up to see where I'm going. I find it it easier to look through the screen, see the sounder and then out through window.
Sounder pics 6.jpg
Here is a pic of the dash and you can see the old sounder tucked away down below. As you can see there was not much option in the dash its pretty busy. I thought about using the old spot but again I felt it was too low.
So what to do. I went to the 2013 boat show and went shopping. I got to speak to all the brand salesmen and just picked all there brains. All the features, benefits, warranties etc, how to mount it and two would do all the work( 'Im not a handymen).
I ended up with a Simrad NSS EVO Gen 11 mounted on dash with a ram mount.
I used the Ram mount system, It was very solid. This seemed the best option, because the sounder was heavy 12 inch version. I was concerned about the weight and bouncing etc. Looking and my mounting point it looked a bit bit weak. So we put a plate in behind the fiber glass to give it strength.
The sounder mount is fully adjustable, so I can swivel around all angles something that makes set ups easy as well with cables etc. The rubber grommet is just a door stop to take some of the weight, this works fine and was cheap.
Sounder pics 5.jpg
Sounder pics 2.jpg
Sounder pics 3.jpg
Sounder pics4.jpg
Sounder pics 1.jpg
I met a guy at the boat show called Moose. He works at Regal marine and new a sh*t load and seemed a good guy. He helped me personally set up my system from wiring through mounting and then he came out on my boat and help me set up as well. He has now started his own business just around the corner from me in Chelsea. He is one of those guy who loves to help, positive, easy to deal with, not pushy. I think he has access to every brand.I would be happy to pass on his details if you like. If you haven't purchased on e the boat is great place as they have all the new gear and you can spend the day there checking and comparing all models.
I am very happy with the Simrad, I love it. Not the cheapest but I have never thought of the features as not amazing. I do a lot of boating, and the Simrad is just brilliant. Also I believe there is a new model coming. Get the biggest you can, I use split screens a lot and the bigger picture is awesome. I am 50 this year and eyes aren't as good as the used to be.
Sorry if I banged on a bit
Ta. Great info
Moose is great

bowl

Post by bowl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:23 am

purple5ive wrote:Moose is very helpfull. I got all my electronics from.him when he was a regal.marine.

Brenton. How big a sounder are you getting??

I personally would just move the gauges to the right and install sounder on the left. And cover up the holes with fibreglass or use vinyl stickers to cover it up
Thinking of moving smaller gauge on right to left to one of x spots r.
IMG_20170408_101854.jpg
Sounder size 7 or 9.

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Where you have the cross on the left of the dash maybe a good spot. You. Could place a mount there and run a mount vertical to the sounder. This may avoid cutting stuff and repositioning.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah that's also another option.
If you can start from scratch then that's what id do so that it all looks neat.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 pm

CarlG wrote:
barra mick wrote:Get the biggest sounder you can afford

Dont cut into the boat.....mount it off the bracket

When you driving along you will get to love the big screen

If you have to cut.....dont do it after 10 beers.
That sounds very much like comes from experience Mick..
on my last boat I ****** up a cut after a few diet cokes

This present boat I was ok but I stuck to water.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 pm

should have installed the mic up as when you go to grab it you will yank on the cord an damage it. cords tend to be weak on most radios with the exception of motorolla stuff from exp

bowl

Post by bowl » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:19 am

adamk wrote:should have installed the mic up as when you go to grab it you will yank on the cord an damage it. cords tend to be weak on most radios with the exception of motorolla stuff from exp
This is the way the boat was set up when I purchased it.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:56 pm

A good thread, with some great ideas.
Bowl, guess its just a case of finding the sounder you want, and then personalise the dash to suit. I agree with those comments that bigger
is better. Don't forget to leave a spot on the left of the dash for that anchor winch switch !!!!!
Another +++ for moose, he knows his stuff.
Bowl, I'm doing the same soon, I'm getting my dash holes completely filled and starting from scratch.
I do like the look of some of those unit holders, didn't think they looked strong enough, but after seeing mustangs set up, I may go that way....
good luck with it bowl...

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 pm

IMG_3997.JPG
To cover up older holes I used black acrylic cut to shape. Cost me $30 for both.
I then used marine silicone to stick it to the original dash and then mount my stuff on it.

I use Navionics Gold running on an iPad2 enclosed in a waterproof hard case.

Return to “Boating”