Anchor winch test s***fight

nmgar

Re: Anchor winch test s***fight

Post by nmgar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Of course i did. I wouldn't share my opinion without watching the video and reading the articles.

The other link says that the one winch company had organised the test and the other winches were bought. Even though it presented test results, I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Yes that is the query, the Lonestar was as supplied by them though the journo whom you don't trust said it was chosen at random.
Sinsemilla wrote:The internet these days.. I could buy all of the winches mentioned organise a test and make whichever one i want fail and whichever one i want to do well. You wont know what i do behind the scenes.
I agree that you could Anth, however MTS are most unlikely to risk their certification and reputation with a fake test.
Sinsemilla wrote:the best thing is to actually talk to people that own the winches you are looking at and have put them to use in the real world and get their opinions.
I am certainly not promoting any brand, however my research, which of course included talking to people with winches, has led me to a current preference for the GX1.
Cheers,
Neil

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm definitely not saying you are promoting a brand. I'm just saying not to take all the stuff you read as gospel.

Like you've already done, Talking to people with experience is the best way.

I hardly trust any of those reviews from boat magazine. They talk up haines.. Saying their attention to detail is out of this world "all the phillip head screws were all north-south"
Come and have a look at my boat. Not only were screws too short and the rod holders ripped out they were all ass about, Different lengths, **** quality (rusted after no time at all) not to mention the blue i had with the owner of haines because the driver window shattered and its curved glass so i had to go through them.. They wanted to charge me nearly 4k because they wouldnt sell me just one window. i had to buy all 4 windows and the aluminium frame. Yeah no worries!
I ended up figuring out some Evolution boats use the same windows as my haines and Junga is an awesome bloke to deal with in my experience.

Im sure Haines put extra effort into the boat that was going to trailer boat magazine for the test.

Cheers, Anth

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I'm definitely not saying you are promoting a brand. I'm just saying not to take all the stuff you read as gospel.

I hardly trust any of those reviews from boat magazine. They talk up haines.. Saying their attention to detail is out of this world "all the phillip head screws were all north-south"
Come and have a look at my boat. Not only were screws too short and the rod holders ripped out they were all ass about, Different lengths, sh*t quality (rusted after no time at all) not to mention the blue i had with the owner of haines because the driver window shattered and its curved glass so i had to go through them.. They wanted to charge me nearly 4k because they wouldnt sell me just one window. i had to buy all 4 windows and the aluminium frame. Yeah no worries!
I ended up figuring out some Evolution boats use the same windows as my haines and Junga is an awesome bloke to deal with in my experience.

Im sure Haines put extra effort into the boat that was going to trailer boat magazine for the test.

Cheers, Anth
I am always sceptical about reviews in magazines, they are always too positive to be totally credible. Tradeboats (I think that trailerboat is no more) only seem to review manufacturers who advertise in their mag as well. I looked at the Mako 284 Centre Console which was their BOTY last year at the boat show and was totally underwhelmed by a boat costing $275k. I thought the Extreme boats were much more impressive though I would never expect to read a review. (just checked and they did one in 2014 after the boat show but not detailed, no on-water testing)
Cheers,
Neil

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Boat tests in mags have always been about the ad $$. However way you put it though, the 4 winches tested generally get favourable user reviews anyway.

As for Haines Hunters, there's a multitude of other boats I'd buy before a Haines new

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:I'm definitely not saying you are promoting a brand. I'm just saying not to take all the stuff you read as gospel.

Come and have a look at my boat. Not only were screws too short and the rod holders ripped out they were all ass about, Different lengths, sh*t quality (rusted after no time at all) not to mention the blue i had with the owner of haines because the driver window shattered and its curved glass so i had to go through them.. They wanted to charge me nearly 4k because they wouldnt sell me just one window. i had to buy all 4 windows and the aluminium frame. Yeah no worries!

Cheers, Anth
What model/year has you got ?

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I have a lone star GX-2 on an AMF 580 pro sport. Great anchor winch. Strong, reliable and quite. Last boat had a lewmar and I find the drum is much better.

chocolatemoose

Post by chocolatemoose » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:46 pm

i wonder if people get offended easier these days? or its just easier to express?

so the video and project is the only test to ever happen, its just so happen to have been paid for by one of the brands. who felt "with good reason" their products were better. and put money into the pot to prove it the most un bias way. . . i dont understand why people get angry over it ?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 am

chocolatemoose wrote:i wonder if people get offended easier these days? or its just easier to express?

so the video and project is the only test to ever happen, its just so happen to have been paid for by one of the brands. who felt "with good reason" their products were better. and put money into the pot to prove it the most un bias way. . . i dont understand why people get angry over it ?
If you are a competitor to the manufacturer who paid for the tests and happened to have the best performed winch then there's good reason to be annoyed. As a consumer couldn't give a stuff.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:35 am

chocolatemoose wrote:i wonder if people get offended easier these days? or its just easier to express?

It's the potential for bias in the test. Who can say if they didn't select a slightly modified example of their product to be tested against off the shelf examples of their competitors? What if the tests performed were selected specifically to highlight strengths of their product and weaknesses of their competitors?

In scientific research, undeclared conflicts of interest, affiliations or donations like what had happened with those winch tests can be grounds for getting the research redacted because the results may be compromised.

Personally I wouldn't trust reviews in a magazine to be 100% true or to provide the complete picture because you never know if anyone is getting paid for it, if the reviewer is sponsored by one of the companies in question or if the magazine itself gets a lot of ad revenue from one of the companies and so on. I have seen people I know to be on a particular business's pro team write articles for major fishing magazines where certain products are name dropped without any mention of the author's affiliations which I think is a bit unfair because I doubt your average fisho is going to realise what is going on.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 am

the one thing that everyone seems to forget about this test, is that WHILE lonestar organised the tests, he put his product on the line as well. His product could have failed. It could have destroyed itself into a million tiny pieces. His winches could have stopped after 1 lift...but they didnt.

Im in the industry (marine) and if it was me, it would be a Lonestar, Stressfree or if you are loaded a muir.

While the video is unbiased, go ask around at a boat ramp, or what not and see the results.

Return to “Boating”