Boat fuel,where u go to fill up...9nly

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Boat fuel,where u go to fill up...9nly

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:ive always used premium fuel in my cars, partly due to owning a few imported cars that needed 100ron fuel.

with the boat im usually filling up at my locals and so far its been ok, i used to use 98 in the boat as well, but realise they only need 87ron as per manufacturer specs, so 91 it is from now on.

reason i used 98 in boat was i was thinking its got cleaning properties as per the ads on TV so must be good for the 2 stroke carby as well, not sure if it actually did anything tbh..
Worth the watch. Tl:Dr, if your engine is designed to run on low octane fuel, putting high octane on only lightens your wallet.

https://youtu.be/WYlk9C1o0nk

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Basti wrote:
purple5ive wrote:ive always used premium fuel in my cars, partly due to owning a few imported cars that needed 100ron fuel.

with the boat im usually filling up at my locals and so far its been ok, i used to use 98 in the boat as well, but realise they only need 87ron as per manufacturer specs, so 91 it is from now on.

reason i used 98 in boat was i was thinking its got cleaning properties as per the ads on TV so must be good for the 2 stroke carby as well, not sure if it actually did anything tbh..
Worth the watch. Tl:Dr, if your engine is designed to run on low octane fuel, putting high octane on only lightens your wallet.

well aware of all that ol chap, my last car was tuned to accept 98 ron with an aftermarket ECU, so i am aware of how the ron ratings, timing etc etc work
as i mentioned already i didnt know the 2 stroke carby motors only needed 87ron to run, but i figured that with all the detergents in the higher RON fuel it might give the carby a good cleaning as it goes through, preventing carbon buildup etc.. i wasnt after any power gains by going the higher octane
im sticking with lower octance fuel now for the boat as it lasts longer in the tank (aka doesnt loose ron rating as fast as 98 ron fuel)
ill thrown in a tank here and there of 98 when im wanting to clean the carbs out a bit (not sure if it will clean the carbs tbh, thats what im wanting to find out)

The video is quite good. cheers

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Basti wrote:

I have a Mercury 15hp 2 stroke and the difference in performance between 91 and 98 is dramatic, with 98 I get about another 2-3 k per hour, plus a tank full last longer and there is more power to get up onto the plane.

However the price difference between 91 and 98, it definitely lightens the wallet with 20 litres of fuel. :o_0: :rofl:

With my 140hp 4 stroke, the only time I put in 98 was when I first bought the boat and the fuel in it was stale, the motor had a slight miss, and wasn't happy until the fresh stuff kicked and I noticed an improvement in performance. I don't keep the fuel tank full, as it maybe some time between trips, and the fuel goes stale, so I always top up with fresh fuel either the night before or on the day of the trip.

Sadly this sometimes means missing out on low fuel prices, but a near 30% increase in costs per liter is criminal, wish my pay rose that fast. :down:

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:14 pm

i actually never paid attention to whether there was an increase in power/response to my motor with using 91 and 98 fuel
however with the cars im driving now and also previous cars, ive always got an extra 50-100ks more when using 98 shell vmax, if i used bp 98 Ultimate i got less mileage, have no idea why.

wooly how did you actually measure km/hr for the 2 stroke motor, im lookign to do this myself and cant work out how to acurately get a reading.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:27 pm

BP premium is all I use in the boat.

Most 2 strokes are deigned to run on 93-94 plus and don't run right on 91.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm

purple5ive wrote:i actually never paid attention to whether there was an increase in power/response to my motor with using 91 and 98 fuel
however with the cars im driving now and also previous cars, ive always got an extra 50-100ks more when using 98 shell vmax, if i used bp 98 Ultimate i got less mileage, have no idea why.

wooly how did you actually measure km/hr for the 2 stroke motor, im lookign to do this myself and cant work out how to acurately get a reading.
Isn't the GPS more accurate than most speedos?

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:46 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Basti wrote:

well aware of all that ol chap, my last car was tuned to accept 98 ron with an aftermarket ECU, so i am aware of how the ron ratings, timing etc etc work
as i mentioned already i didnt know the 2 stroke carby motors only needed 87ron to run, but i figured that with all the detergents in the higher RON fuel it might give the carby a good cleaning as it goes through, preventing carbon buildup etc.. i wasnt after any power gains by going the higher octane
im sticking with lower octance fuel now for the boat as it lasts longer in the tank (aka doesnt loose ron rating as fast as 98 ron fuel)
ill thrown in a tank here and there of 98 when im wanting to clean the carbs out a bit (not sure if it will clean the carbs tbh, thats what im wanting to find out)

Ah fair enough. Yeah I recently found his channel doing some car research and some of his vids are useful. But I digress.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Basti wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Basti wrote:

Ah fair enough. Yeah I recently found his channel doing some car research and some of his vids are useful. But I digress.
look tell you what, i have no idea why or how it has worked . but try a tank of 98 vpower (shell) 98 optimax (bp) and then 91 on the same car doing same sort of driving and see what you get. (use your trip meter to record kms)
yes the fact they all come in one ship, and then get refined according to the fuel manufacturers specs is true, but theres defenitely a difference in the fuel going by what ive seen.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Mattblack wrote:
purple5ive wrote:i actually never paid attention to whether there was an increase in power/response to my motor with using 91 and 98 fuel

Isn't the GPS more accurate than most speedos?
doesnt count when you drift, thats why i said accurate

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 pm

frozenpod wrote:BP premium is all I use in the boat.

Most 2 strokes are deigned to run on 93-94 plus and don't run right on 91.
i swear i seen 87 somewhere for the tohatsu 50 2 stroke i have, maybe i was dreaming lol

Return to “Boating”