Looking for help choosing a boat!!!

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Looking for help choosing a boat!!!

Post by frozenpod » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 am

You can still move around a dual axle by hand. The extra wheels don't have a massive amount of extra resistance.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:10 pm

One thing not mentioned, will you use it ???
Are you better off paying for a charter, a few times a year.
Know of a few people that brought boats and although in the beginning they were well used, they ended up sitting in the shed and sold 2 to 3 years later
$30,000 will pay for a lot of charters (or boat hire), even on the marlin.

Cheers Gra

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Mattblack wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Hilaryskitchen wrote:Thanks everyone very interesting and valuable input that I have taken on board, will keep this post updated when I buy a boat.
I have been on gumtree watching prices etc... And have been looking for mainly boats between 5 and 6 mtrs, I think you guys have put me off the sealegend which is all good as after hearing your thoughts maybe a little bit big and heavy for a virgin boat owner. I also have taken on board the fact that I won't be offshore on all fishing trips and that if I did anything over 5 mtrs will do the job weather permitting. So 5mtr boat it will be, fibreglass, 115 hP + and small cab for comfort.
Again thanks for all the advice, really appreciated, now can someone drop a boat off ready to go at my place lol.

I suggest you go for the biggest boat you can afford, tow and can store.

The whittley SL are a very decent boat.

For offshore there is an old school general rule of thumb that is still very true today today 6m plus. Sure you can go offshore in small boats but with less opportunities weather wise and with increased risk.

Keep in mind that all trailer boats are small once on the water.
Undoubtedly a big heavy boat will be a lot safer and more comfortable on the water (and if you take your fishing seriously and chase big stuff regularly then it's a no-brainer), but..... I was putting in new wheel bearings on the weekend and kept thinking how glad I was to have a single axle trailer (it's a sh!t of a job). Not only was it twice as fast, it was 1/2 the cost compared to a dual-axle and you can move the boat around by hand a lot more easily.
If your boat is heavy and you travel with gear in yr boat tben a tandem is the only way to go.

If you can get away with one set off wheels like mattblack tben perfect for you.

You need to choose the boat tbat best suits your fishing.

In a ideal world i would have 3 boats.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Texas wrote:One thing not mentioned, will you use it ???
Are you better off paying for a charter, a few times a year.
Know of a few people that brought boats and although in the beginning they were well used, they ended up sitting in the shed and sold 2 to 3 years later
$30,000 will pay for a lot of charters (or boat hire), even on the marlin.

Cheers Gra
Pretty good point...throw the charter option on your spreadsheet (they even bait your hook and make you a cuppa)
However, there is something deeply satisfying in catching fish on your own boat. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I enjoy prepping the boat, making sure everything is adjusted and stowed correctly...scouring the internet looking for that 'must have' bit of equipment to make life more comfortable of increase your catch rate.
Don't get me started on tackle...sometimes I wonder if it's more fun buying it or using it.

Hilaryskitchen

Post by Hilaryskitchen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree with mattblack, it's a hobby to me , all the prep will be half the fun.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am

I had a single axle trailer on first trailer was easy to move but got a tandam with this boat and its harder to move by hand but i dont really have a reason to move it

Return to “Boating”