New Boat - Suggestions

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: New Boat - Suggestions

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:02 pm

I haven't been in a Victory but I have spent a lot of time in the Viking and Vegabond. Both are great fishing platforms great fit out and both wet. The vega is a bit hard but the viking is a back breaker.

Hardyakka

Post by Hardyakka » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Had a bit of a look.

This was my pick based on your requirements

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for- ... ss=Premium

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Has a carby 2 stroke motor.

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:26 pm

I have a ventura the half cab version of the viking. And find it a very dry boat and smooth compared to any other 18 foot boat ive been in

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Cheers everyone. I think we need to go to a few boat yards and sit in a few boats ranging from the 5.5-6.5m range and get a feel for what is a good fit.

I've got a contact who has been into boats for a long time and he was raving about the Seafarer's and how good a ride/build they are. A few people have said they are a hard ride though.

It seems no matter which boat I look at there are 90% saying great, comfortable ride and another 10% saying wet and back breaking! Sure makes it hard to pick one!

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:17 pm

I'd also be happy with a 2 stroke - but as long as it was in the lower end of the budget. Just not sure how well 2 strokes will re-sell in 3-4 years.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 am

yepi'mon wrote:I'd also be happy with a 2 stroke - but as long as it was in the lower end of the budget. Just not sure how well 2 strokes will re-sell in 3-4 years.
Find out what the commpresion of the cylinders are and will tell you how much life left in the block

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 am

yepi'mon wrote:Cheers everyone. I think we need to go to a few boat yards and sit in a few boats ranging from the 5.5-6.5m range and get a feel for what is a good fit.

I've got a contact who has been into boats for a long time and he was raving about the Seafarer's and how good a ride/build they are. A few people have said they are a hard ride though.

It seems no matter which boat I look at there are 90% saying great, comfortable ride and another 10% saying wet and back breaking! Sure makes it hard to pick one!
ehat some peoplethenk is smooth ride person next to you think is hard.
Its personal preference.
Depends on your experience on how you drive on the day.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 am

yepi'mon wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Based on those boats you must have plenty of storage space and height.

Cruise Crafts make decent boats but like the haines hunter they have a price premium beyond there value IMO. Just be aware that cruise crafts were called bruise crafts for good reason they are not know for being the best riding hulls.

I would also look at haines signature.

I am very fond of the whittley SL22. The new volvo motor setup is brilliant and the value for money is excellent.
Thanks mate. We will be putting a gate in the fence and storing it in the yard. Height won't be an issue which is good.

I've done a bit of research on them and haven't read bad comments yet...... which is why I'm asking here!

Any other suggestion's on lower cost hull's of the same vintage that might ride just as well?

Also will you have enough turning room for backing in?

yepi'mon

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 am

smile0784 wrote:
yepi'mon wrote:Cheers everyone. I think we need to go to a few boat yards and sit in a few boats ranging from the 5.5-6.5m range and get a feel for what is a good fit.

ehat some peoplethenk is smooth ride person next to you think is hard.
Its personal preference.
Depends on your experience on how you drive on the day.
This is true.. I think given our experience anything is going to feel like an upgrade!

Return to “Boating”