Taking a 4M tinnie in the ocean?

Joshhay

Taking a 4M tinnie in the ocean?

Post by Joshhay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi all,

First post here, so hello all!

I currently own a 4M tinnie boat that I've had for awhile, it's powered by an old 2 stroke 25HP Evinrude that I've had for awhile and seems to be relatively reliable. I've got all the safety gear and recently bought a pack of flairs in hopes to fish within 2NM of the shore. I haven't got a lot of experience in boating but have spent a few hours out on the lake and have dealt with some minor chop before.

Myself and some friends are heading to Portland this weekend and are hoping to take the boat out, I was wondering if a 4M tinnie boat would be suitable to take out in Portland and where some good locations would be to take this tinnie, my friends and I would love to chase gummy shark or something if possible. Would love to hear from you guys to know if this boat would be suitable and also to know where to go.

Regards,
Josh

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Taking a 4M tinnie in the ocean?

Post by Kimtown » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Can't speak for Portland as I've never been there, but if it's similar to any other offshore sea in Vic it'll be fine IN the right conditions. Obviously don't go out in anything worse than a 15 knot southerly. Also, more than 2 people in a boat that size is going to make it very unstable.

My old boy has a 3.75 makocraft tinny, tiny.. low sides and everything. He's taken it through the bar crossing at lakes entrance and out in bass strait plenty of times, no worries. He's got a reliable brand new 15 merc on it though. I'd want a donk I know will start 1st pull every time.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Portland has some of the worse seas in vic but can be flat
all depend on the day and weather.
i wouldn't take it out with anything more then ,5 to 1mt swell max and 10 knots

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:27 pm

I can speak for Portland having fished there for numerous years, take the tinny with you and stick in the harbour, there are an abundance of species in there from pinkies to salmon and also squid and at the right time of year the kingies come in. Plus if the motor packs it in its a lot closer to row in
Good luck

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:37 pm

canned_tuna wrote:I can speak for Portland having fished there for numerous years, take the tinny with you and stick in the harbour, there are an abundance of species in there from pinkies to salmon and also squid and at the right time of year the kingies come in. Plus if the motor packs it in its a lot closer to row in
Good luck
What he said.

Joshhay

Post by Joshhay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi all, thanks for the tips. I am wondering is there any better areas to take a tinny around that Portland area such as Warrnambool, Port Fairy, Nelson, etc? If I do take it out I'll make sure to keep track of the weather too as per the recommendations.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 pm

remember safety first
no fish is worth your life

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Plenty of good fish in Portland harbour, have caught bags of big whiting off the piers, and the Kings are through their at certain times of year

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 pm

The fact that you are asking and have said you are inexperienced in boating makes me think that you should get some hours up in port phillip and westernport first.

People put their lives on the line to help people out of major danger and inexperienced boaters need to take baby steps.

When you are confident in normal waters, then try offshore

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:The fact that you are asking and have said you are inexperienced in boating makes me think that you should get some hours up in port phillip and westernport first.

People put their lives on the line to help people out of major danger and inexperienced boaters need to take baby steps.

When you are confident in normal waters, then try offshore
Good call

Return to “Boating”