Taking a 4M tinnie in the ocean?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Taking a 4M tinnie in the ocean?

Post by frozenpod » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 am

Short answer is no a 4m tiller steer tinny it is not suitable to go ofshore.

Long answer you can get away with it (although there is considerable increased risk) if your boat is well setup, the captain is experienced on the right day.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:16 am

you will be lucky to make it back with enough fuel from a 25l tank for a start. offshore is no place for someone with little experience.
stay inside the harbour mate please...plenty to catch inside there from what i hear and also on the rockwall side

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am

Portland harbor, the bay just outside the harbor are good fishing grounds. We have caught Salmon, Whiting, Trevaley, Pinkies and Flatties. This time of the year is leading up to some Kingfish caputures.
Nelson is a great place to launch a tinnie and explore up river. Bream, estuary perch, flatties and a good chance of a Mullaway.
Lots of fishing options. nice part of the world.
Keep an eye out for the wind direction and you will always be able to fish.
Goodluck!

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:00 am

At Portland, these blokes had a tinnie about 4.5 meters with a capstan boat collar. I am not sure of the horse power and they were chasing Tuna.

I heard that one time when they got back to the boat ramp that the boat has a fair amount of water in it.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Personally I would not take out a 4 meter boat designed for sheltered waters in the ocean, the free board alone would make me nervous.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Josh, listen to the wiseheads on here, the ocean is definitely not the place for a 4metre tinny with an inexperienced crew and a motor that" seems to go o.k".
Stick to the bays and estuaries till you get the feel of the boat and some knowhow ,before you tackle the big stuff, it is simply too soon for you to attempt this.
Don,t want to lecture but please think about this.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm

:thumbsup:
Best movie ever

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Joshhay wrote:Hi all,

First post here, so hello all!

I currently own a 4M tinnie boat that I've had for awhile, it's powered by an old 2 stroke 25HP Evinrude that I've had for awhile and seems to be relatively reliable. I've got all the safety gear and recently bought a pack of flairs in hopes to fish within 2NM of the shore. I haven't got a lot of experience in boating but have spent a few hours out on the lake and have dealt with some minor chop before.

Myself and some friends are heading to Portland this weekend and are hoping to take the boat out, I was wondering if a 4M tinnie boat would be suitable to take out in Portland and where some good locations would be to take this tinnie, my friends and I would love to chase gummy shark or something if possible. Would love to hear from you guys to know if this boat would be suitable and also to know where to go.

Regards,
Josh
Sometimes is not the chop you have to watch out for its the swell that in portland can hit 4 to 6mts.
I have a 5.7mt boat and i would question going out in a 2mt swell and 15 knot winds.
With wind and swell every just becomes harder.
And in a smaller boat you could head out of the harbour in a perfect day .4mt swell and less then 4 knots just to bottom bounce but what you can get outside the outside you coud probably get inside and be safer

Joshhay

Post by Joshhay » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies all, will leave any fishing 'off shore's untill I find myself with a bigger boat and more experience.

Will defiantly keep an eye on the weather and see what it does. I think the harbour and the bay (if the weather is okay) sounds like the best plan after reading comments here and talking to a few local tackle shops.

Just for reference the 25 horse motor I've got I've put some work into, starts every time, compression is spot on and I've recently done all new seals and everything and it's also front steer, not tiller.

Thanks a ton for all the replies and any future replies too

Return to “Boating”