?? fuel issue on low revs

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

?? fuel issue on low revs

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 pm

so heres the story
I took the boat out boxing day and decided to run the boat out of the old fuel so I could top it up with the new 20lt jerry I brought with me.
once the tank got low I think a bit of crap from the bottom of the tank went into the motor.
it started to stall out on low revs and had to make sure I let it warm up with the manual throttle up before I put it into gear or it would stall.

once I put the new petrol in the tank and gave it a good run and got the revs about 3000 revs it went good.
not it keeps stalling on low revs.
when I run it at home on the muffs its fine.

I taken the boat out since then adding 60lt of fuel to the tank and it still stalls on low revs but once it gets going its fine.

it there a way of flushing the underfloor tank?
or easy way to replace fuel lines?
After doing some research, there in a hatch under the carpet that's riveted down but most people say you have to replace all the carpet if you pull it up.
are there any alternatives before I start destroying the boat?
its a 5.7mt trail craft.

any help appreciated

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: ?? fuel issue on low revs

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm

What do you want to achieve?
It sounds as though you have already sucked the sh!t from the bottom of the tank which is a big no no.
Unfortunately bad fuel is an issue with underfloor tanks and if you have a sealed floor ( Im not sure about the layouts of the trailcrafts)there is no way around accessing the tank if thats whats required

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:49 pm

What I mean is you can always siphon bad fuel out but you will never be able to remove the grit from the bottom of the tank unless you modify your floor to be able to remove it

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 pm

SIlly question but do you have an in-line fuel filter on your fuel line. If so no gunk should have got through to the motor. You could try blowing some air back through the fuel line in case there is something at the tank outlet or in the fuel line. If that fixes the problem it could always re-occur though. If the filter is badly clogged up it may mean you were given some bad fuel and if the problem continues after fitting a new filter you may need to clean out the tank. We had to do that at Bermagui once after putting in 100 litres of crap fuel and it was a real pain. If you do not have an in-line filter it is a good investment. Some ideas anyway!

Best of luck!

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 pm

canned_tuna wrote:What do you want to achieve?
It sounds as though you have already sucked the sh!t from the bottom of the tank which is a big no no.
Unfortunately bad fuel is an issue with underfloor tanks and if you have a sealed floor ( Im not sure about the layouts of the trailcrafts)there is no way around accessing the tank if thats whats required
Wanted to know if there was a easy fix.
See if a smarty pants on here new of a easy remady before i start cutting into the floor

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm

canned_tuna wrote:What I mean is you can always siphon bad fuel out but you will never be able to remove the grit from the bottom of the tank unless you modify your floor to be able to remove it
How do you siphon fuel out of the boat?
Last time i tried it i got high sucking on a hose.

With the quintrex i use to just use the fuel bulb and pump it out but i cant disconnect the fuel line on the trailcraft

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Paulanderson wrote:SIlly question but do you have an in-line fuel filter on your fuel line. If so no gunk should have got through to the motor. You could try blowing some air back through the fuel line in case there is something at the tank outlet or in the fuel line. If that fixes the problem it could always re-occur though. If the filter is badly clogged up it may mean you were given some bad fuel and if the problem continues after fitting a new filter you may need to clean out the tank. We had to do that at Bermagui once after putting in 100 litres of crap fuel and it was a real pain. If you do not have an in-line filter it is a good investment. Some ideas anyway!

Best of luck!

Only filter i can see it this one from a pic on my phone
2018-01-12 00.20.51.jpg
At work atm so cant actully look at it better then a pic.

Any ideas on what it is?

I mite try both.
Bloing back and putting a inline filter in.
Only cost about $20

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 pm

going by
http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Oper ... 15716E.pdf

there is a Fuel Filter: 100HP-175HP Models on top on the motor, might have a look at this tomorrow or next day.
Page 12

would that have stopped any gunk from getting through?

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 am

This a typical inline fuel filter Some of them have a glass bowl at the base so you can see if there is water in the fuel and so you can drain it off. Some are just all metal though. Its a bit hard to tell from your pic but that could be a fuel filter.
Attachments
FUEL FILTER.jpg
FUEL FILTER.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 526 times

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 am

im use to seeing those water filters on my last boat.

ill have a closer look at mine later today when I get up if its not raining

Return to “Boating”