Fishing and Boating Stuff ups.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Fishing and Boating Stuff ups.

Post by rb85 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Today I will fess up :-D . After fishing last Thursdays and having a very hot Friday and warm Saturday/Sunday I wonder into the garage to a very off smell.
Wonder over to the boat open one of the live tanks to see a dead Scad stewing at the bottom the live well. :oops:

Yes this bloody idiot failed to empty the tanks in a rush last Thursday. cleaned the boat in a rush and put it in the garage. Go to tidy a few things up this arvo to an all mighty pong. Last time I make that mistake.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Fishing and Boating Stuff ups.

Post by Nude up » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

I made a similar mistake years ago with some mussels left them in an ice cream container for weeks then remembered they were there when I took the lid off I nearly chucked up I didn’t know mussel shells could dissolve into a liquid

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:04 pm

I found the best remedy for the dead fish esky pong was to hose it out, and then fill it with ice and let it melt out. Once that done I leave it open in the sun for a few days. I have a few expensive eskies I have defiled regularly. (one had a few squid in it sealed so long they liquified into purple slop) that I am an old hand at rescuing them. I have no idea why the above works but it does, to the point when after its done I can close the lid as much as possible with my head inside and it smells fine (not answering questions about this)

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 pm

You know it must be bad when the neighbour comes knocking on the door and complains about the smell down the driveway....oops, forgot to empty the burley!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 am

Glad to know it's not just me. :thumbsup:

After cleaning and an overnight airing out the smell has almost disappeared.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 am

I was in a hurry to pack up one day and 2left the bucket of bait on the boat on hot sunner day and thought it smelt a bit after a few days.
Just thinking i didint wash all the bait out of the carpet so left it.

When i went to get the bucket out of the boat a week later i realised i left bait in it.
Lets not talk about the maggots in it lol

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 am

Scraglor wrote:I found the best remedy for the dead fish esky pong was to hose it out, and then fill it with ice and let it melt out. Once that done I leave it open in the sun for a few days. I have a few expensive eskies I have defiled regularly. (one had a few squid in it sealed so long they liquified into purple slop) that I am an old hand at rescuing them. I have no idea why the above works but it does, to the point when after its done I can close the lid as much as possible with my head inside and it smells fine (not answering questions about this)
UV light is great at breaking down organic molecules like the ones that make rotten fish stink (and also the DNA in your skin cells) so leaving it in the sun is a great way to deodorize stuff.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 am

A mate of mine went to the petrol station and conpletely filled his boat with diesel because he was distracted and thought he was filling his car.

As i fish night trips mainly I went down to the ramp to launch 1 arvo only to find the boat dead flat. I had the battery charger connected but not turned on at the power point. I check every time before i leave now

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 am

Lol I know the feeling. My mate and I forgot about a bag of pippies...

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 am

Burley cages are my nemesis.....I've lost so many of them (and last year one managed to find itself on top of a battery and nearly started a fire)
Also forgot sunscreen last week and now I'm looking like Michael Jackson when he was transitioning from black to white.

Return to “Boating”