Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Do you mean house battery to run all your electronics from and extras like a fridge?

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 am

smile0784 wrote:Do you mean house battery to run all your electronics from and extras like a fridge?
Yes. Typical day, sounder, VHF (listen do not transmit), FM radio are running all the time off the house. They all pull around 1 amp each so stuff all. Fridge I hardly use now as I cant be bothered taking it in and out of the boat. That pulls around 5 amp by memory when the fridge is cooling down, about 1 amp when its at temperature so its a item I was always wary about as far as the draw off the house battery. I think its been 2 years since I have used the fridge now anyway.

Different horses, different courses. If I had a 25ft cruiser I would run a different setup and have a true deep cycle house battery, I think the main thing is what people want to achieve and in my case, I want a good 2nd start battery and the few amps I pull over 3 hours max wont make a difference to the start capabilities of the battery.

I actually design electrical systems for mobile equipment so I did consider my options before doing anything. What is good for me wont be good for the next bloke so I am not saying I have the ultimate answer. It does suit my requirements however to what I want.

I think the best 1st step is to check with engine specifications to see what they recommend. If you have a Suzuki, problem solved, must run same batteries.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:37 pm

What did you decide to do?

Return to “Boating”