Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

Post by sturgeon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Dear All,

Am thinking of installing a dual battery system plus isolator on my own. Is it worth the trouble or am I better off paying the dealer $450 to do it? How much am I going to save if I were to go and buy the 2nd battery and the dual battery kit and isolator myself? Thank you.

Duffman

Re: Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

Post by Duffman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

For $450 done by the dealer you are not going to save much money doing it yourself. You will have warranty and peace of mind.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I recently (few months ago) had a dual battery with isolated installed etc, and haven’t had a problem at all, very happy. If your not experienced with something like that I’d just pay the $450 in my opinion. But up to you mate

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Got it. Thanks!

What is your opinion on century pro batteries?

Also, do you use battery chargers to keep the batteries charged while in the garage? Thanks!

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Does the $450 include parts or is this just labour? If it includes parts it sounds like a very good price. I did mine myself as I wanted in done in a particular way and I am very fussy on workmanship. I like to do these things myself so I know how its done....just a personal choice. If you are comparing costs, do not forget to allow for cables as battery cables are expensive. If you do decide to do it yourself, make sure you buy the same CCA battery as you have now. Have a think on how you want it setup and if you want a VSR. Some of the VSR's do not allow the current to go in the opposite direction so they are useless IMO if you have your main battery fail and need to start off the house battery.

I have a century pro battery as my house battery. Initially it was my main battery until something was left on and completely drained the battery. It was that incident which made me decide to install a second battery. Long story short, the older Century house battery is far healthier (now 6 years old) than my main battery and I am probably going to upgrade the main battery and keep the Century. I like the idea of turning the batteries over (ie main to house and house to recycle) but the Century is in far better condition.

I personally use a charger over the winter to keep the batteries in good health. Normally put it once in the middle of winter and once again for a quick top up before the 1st trip. I keep a check of the battery voltage when the charger is on.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm

How handy are you?
And do you have all the tools to cripm the 10mm or so wire?

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I went through this not long ago and ended up getting a 2nd Century 620 installed by John at Mainline Marine...it wasnt that much more than doing it myself & I dont have to worry about the boat catching on fire.
Ive got a Ctek trickle/maintenance charger that works a treat (supposingly increases the life of the batteries) Ive also got one of those small powerpack jumpstarters just in case.

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:36 pm

I used to have a minnkota onboard charger to keep the trolling motor battery charged in the USA. I wonder what is a good onboard charger to use here? Thanks!

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 pm

smile0784 wrote:How handy are you?
I am lucky to have a mate as an auto elec. told him the lengths and he made them up for me.

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 pm

smile0784 wrote:How handy are you?

Haha. Not yet.

Return to “Boating”