Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

Sinsemilla

Re: Dual Battery Setup and Battery Charging

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm

most outboards only charge over a certain rpm. If you're cruising around a lot in low revs maybe you aren't charging them?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:most outboards only charge over a certain rpm. If you're cruising around a lot in low revs maybe you aren't charging them?
OK, I DIDNT KNOW THAT PART!!
ill have to see what mine does (50hp tohatsu 2 stroke, in case you know of it already)
but i generally dont drive slowly :-D

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Not sure about tohatsu outboards but usually its just under 2k? Don't quote me though..

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 pm

skronkman wrote:If the $450 includes parts its a good price. There are many ways to skin the dual battery setup cat and you are best to learn them and decide what you want. If you are not handy on the tools then you can ask for help from a mate who is or even on this site. The brand name batteries are all pretty good, just base Your purchase on price and warranty. I have 2 Lion brand batteries that were comparatively cheap ($150 each) and have been excellent. It is mostly to do with how you look after them. Keep them charged with a decent multi stage charger and you should get a good life out of them.

At a minimum you want a good quality battery switch and 2 batteries in battery boxes strapped down securely with heavy duty tinned copper cabling and the lugs on the end should be crimped or soldered. You really want a multistage charger to keep your batteries in order. A CTEK is great if you have money to splurge or if you go to Aldi on the right day you can get one (4 amp I think) pretty cheap that works fine. You can add a VSR at a later date if you desire. For a day tripping fishing boat I don't think it's a requirement.

My advice would be to start with a basic dual battery setup that is composed of good quality components and put together well. Learn it's pros and cons and look after your batteries. This will serve you well. If you decide you want to upgrade in the future then you can add bits on (like VSR) but these are not necessary requirements, they just make things a bit easier.

The old rule of KISS is a good one to apply here, that and battery maintenance will serve you well.
Thank you for the detailed reply! The dealership not using boxes. Just clamps. Is that OK or should I request for boxes? Any advantage?

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm

skronkman wrote:Don't ask me why but I have a collection of battery chargers. They have pros and cons. Just for reference I'll list them here is n case anyone is interested.

1. Aldi 4 amp multistage (3 or 4 I think) charger . Cheap, works fine, has 2 charge rates but you need to press a button to start the charge cycle which isn't great for being permanently connected (after a power outage you need to press the button again)

2. Super cheap auto 15 amp multistage (7 I think) charger. Value for money, fast on big batteries, not waterproof, too big for smaller batteries

3. CTEK 10 amp multi stage (7) charger expensive, top of the range, very smart multistage, waterproof, the LED lights are playing up on mine and I'm not 100% sure it's progressing through the stages properly.

4. Super cheap auto 5 amp multistage (3) charger. Seems fine, not waterproof, gave it to a mate for his boat and he has no complaints

5. 2.1 amp projecta constant current charger. Will charge your battery but will also cook it if left on for too long. Not recommended.

I reckon any decent multistage charger (3 stages or more is fine) of around 10 amps is probably good. Waterproof is also a bonus for the salty wet environment of boats. The CTEK has a great name but is on the pricey side and is the only one I have that seems to have issues. The Aldi unit is good value but might be a bit slow for some people's needs, especially if charging multiple batteries at once.
Thanks for the list. I am looking for an onboard charger to avoid the hassle of bringing it on and off. I suppose that would mean that it has to be waterproof. Looks like none in the list would really fit the bill for me?

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 pm

purple5ive wrote:if the price quoted is icluding the supply and fit of 2 marine batteries (make sure its the right size), the cabling and the switch, then just get them to do it.
No. Its the price for 1 battery and switch and cables. Not 2 batteries.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Not sure about tohatsu outboards but usually its just under 2k? Don't quote me though..
bah, thats idling speed for me :rofl:
Thanks for that though.
i dont troll with my outboard motor either, so im pretty sure its gettng charged, ill get them to look at it when its in for a service anyway just to be sure to be sure :)

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:42 pm

sturgeon wrote:
purple5ive wrote:if the price quoted is icluding the supply and fit of 2 marine batteries (make sure its the right size), the cabling and the switch, then just get them to do it.
did they say what brand and size battery?

sturgeon

Post by sturgeon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:30 pm

purple5ive wrote:
sturgeon wrote:
did they say what brand and size battery?
Marine century pro 680 I think.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

ok well thats a $250 battery for us normal folks who pay retail. so another $200 for wire, and switch plus labour doesnt seem too excessive.
id certainly get a battery box if the battery is installed in an open area where it can get splashed.

Return to “Boating”