Warneet Ramp Guide?

sputnik

Warneet Ramp Guide?

Post by sputnik » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:31 am

Hi guys,

Looking at launching my 4.5m alluminium down at Warneet boat ramp. I went down today at a 0.43m tide to have a look at what it would be like and there is no water at all. Can any of you veterans please give me a guide as to best tide times to launch and any tips on making life easier down there?

Thanks in advance.

Vargs

Re: Warneet Ramp Guide?

Post by Vargs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 pm

I regularly use Warneet to launch my 4.2m tinnie. I just look for anytime where I have 1m of water so things are easy but 1 can make do with .7 in a pinch. There tends to be a dip at the end of the ramp where there is prop wash and then a rise where the sand piles up a few meters back so watch that hump. If you can get near the two markers behind the yacht club you can get out easily at even the lowest tide if you are in a small boat. Al at the ramp tackle shop would be able to give you the best advice, I have always found him very happy to help.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:41 pm

Unless you're talking a really low tide then I've usually been able to launch my 5.45 between 1 and 2 hours before or after low tide. There was one time that I had to wait a bit longer while tied up to the jetty waiting to haul out but I just used the time to clean fish. One rule of thumb used down there is if the concrete pontoon is floating then you can launch. It's pretty shallow getting out to the channel and you're best to run parallel with the jetty until you get nearly to the buoy (orange I think) then chuck a left and head between the green and red markers. Keep your engine trimmed out too so youre not mowing the grass.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:01 pm

skronkman wrote:Unless you're talking a really low tide then I've usually been able to launch my 5.45 between 1 and 2 hours before or after low tide. There was one time that I had to wait a bit longer while tied up to the jetty waiting to haul out but I just used the time to clean fish. One rule of thumb used down there is if the concrete pontoon is floating then you can launch. It's pretty shallow getting out to the channel and you're best to run parallel with the jetty until you get nearly to the buoy (orange I think) then chuck a left and head between the green and red markers. Keep your engine trimmed out too so youre not mowing the grass.

What would be defined as too low? Today was a 0.43 low and a kayak would probably just launch from the ramp. In these situations how long would you have to give for water to get back?

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 am

The highest lows are about 1.3m and the lowest lows are about 0.2m going on the BOM tide charts for Hastings. I never really paid that much attention when heading to warneet other than to avoid the very bottom of the tide. Unless it's a particularly high low tide then just stick to the 1 hour rule, check that the pontoon is floating and know that once in a while you'll have to add half an hour of hanging around. If you fish there a few times and take notes of the technicalities you'll figure out the exact details.

Return to “Boating”