stripped marine screws

sputnik

stripped marine screws

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:47 am

Hi guys,

I've got two marine screws that go into seat posts that are completely stuck in. In an attempt to get them out i stripped the screws. Is there any reason they are so damn stuck in there? I managed to get all the others out and notice two were self tapping and two were bolt style screws that threaded into something else. What are my options to get these bastards out?
Attachments
IMG_20180329_113457821.jpg
IMG_20180329_113457821.jpg (1010.33 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_20180329_113454988.jpg
IMG_20180329_113454988.jpg (1011.04 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

Duffman

Re: stripped marine screws

Post by Duffman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am

Might be bolt style with nuts underneath.
If you can't get under there you might have to drill them out. Gotta love corrosion. It's everywhere with boats.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am

I agree with duffman.

If there is no nut, your option are:

Use impact screw driver
Drill them out or
Weld a bolt with hex nut and use a wrench

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:40 am

Fish-cador wrote:I agree with duffman.

If there is no nut, your option are:

Use impact screw driver
Drill them out or
Weld a bolt with hex nut and use a wrench
The screw parts are gone 100% so my only option is to drill. Are there certain drill bits i should use for these kinda screws?

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 am

slow drill speed and quality bits...you only want to try take the head off...and not drill it completley out. Once the head is gone, you should be able to pull the base off, then use vice grips to take the rest of the piece out.
Those screws will be into the bearers under the floor, not bolted, just drilled and tapped. Try get you hands on some "rost off" or siezed bolt remover spray and leave it soak.
You can sometimes use WD40 but it takes a lot longer.

Otherwise try use an impact driver...if there is a head left...

When you go to put the rest of them back in...use some grease on the threads to help for next time

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Drill the head of so you can remove the seat then use some long nose plyer and twist them.out

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:00 pm

There are special tools you can use some are called easy outs drill the head with a small drill you the put the easy out in the hole and turn they screw them selves into the bolt with a left hand thread allowing you to unscrew the stuck bolt, definitely put some form of penetrating fluid on the screw and let it soak.
If you drill off the head use a drill just larger than the diameter of the screw this will leave a larger stump left and use multi grips to turn the bolt put the multi grips on as tight as you can.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Are the bolts / screws that you removed Steel / Brass or Stainless Steel? - Once you have managed to get all of the Screws / Bolts out, clean the holes with Metho / Mineral Turps etc. once cleaned fill holes with araldite or Marine adhesive / sealant - Allow 48 hours + to cure/harden - Longer if you wish.
Remove base from seat stem and use it as a template to drill new holes, please base on floor and align the holes in the base and the screw holes you have filled, then, rotate the base clockwise or anticlockwise so that the holes in the base are between the original holes you plugged / filled.
Pilot drill the 6 mounting holes, remove the base and drill suitable size holes for the screws that you are going to use - Use only Stainless steel bolts / screws.
Alternatively, plug the holes as above then get a piece of 4 or 6 mm stainless steel and attach base to it and then attach it to the floor using all stainless steel fasteners.
Feedback appreciated.

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:20 pm

you try using a easyout ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWIk0DghB9c
i had antennas i had to do it to when i moved house

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:34 pm

repspec wrote:slow drill speed and quality bits...you only want to try take the head off...and not drill it completley out. Once the head is gone, you should be able to pull the base off, then use vice grips to take the rest of the piece out.
Those screws will be into the bearers under the floor, not bolted, just drilled and tapped. Try get you hands on some "rost off" or siezed bolt remover spray and leave it soak.
You can sometimes use WD40 but it takes a lot longer.

Otherwise try use an impact driver...if there is a head left...

When you go to put the rest of them back in...use some grease on the threads to help for next time

If i was to drill the entire screw out is it possible to save the thread so i can put another screw in the hole? or will i need to helicoil etc?

Return to “Boating”