Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Friggin frustrating
Why cant people.do the job properly

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 pm

blacklab99 wrote:To be honest, and I'll hold my tongue here.....
Happy to have the boat back in the shop, that's the best comment I can make.
Structurally, I don't have a problem, BUT, I can honestly say, if I had my time over again, I'd have done the floor/stringers and transom myself !!!
But as I said, the only plus, is its back in the shop.
Temporarily sat the seat box in and a couple of side pocket coamings ?, which are all getting replaced and dimensions changed, I wanted a bit more room underneath them between the floor, as getting your feet underneath when fighting a fish is a great way to get secure footing, they were always an inch or so too low. the smaller shelf up front next to where the seats are, I intend to box that in and utilise that area for radio's and lid compartments for security. Up front, well, I'll get to that. The first job this weekend is to give her an absolute hosing down and clean !!! I wont go into that to much, but I'm sure you can read between the lines. None of the old dash holes were filled,( as asked) and even old fixing holes around the engine well were left, but still painted !!!! and the back left bait well, kinda found out when I got back that the bottom of it has a nice cut mark thru half of the bottom of it, obviously from when the transom was cut off !!!!!
Any how, all I can say is , it's best I finish it off now !! bloody frustrating !
Boat must have spent a bit off time outside, not covered, as the shelves along the sides are saturated and the gel coat peeling away with some swelling on the ends !! So, again, best I fix the issue myself.
I guess I'll say to people looking at getting this type of work done that I did, choose carefully ! who you get to work on your boat, they will never have the same appreciation of it as you do.
Anyways, as mentioned, HAPPY TO HAVE IT HOME IN MY SHOP !!!!!
Will still be a long road to fitting it out, to how I want it, but it was never a race, so the work begins.......

Col
Bloody hell thats crap..

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 pm

How are you going with the wiring?

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi guys,
I saw photo's of the structural stuff as it was happening, but the finishing, well, terrible. fortunately the outer part of the transom is finished beautifully, but the engine well area, well, I'm just going to have to re paint that.
This weekend I'll pull it outside and basically scrub and wash the entire boat down and go from there.
SO, I ripped off half the gunnel rubber today, which was actually snapping as I was pulling it off, 30 years of sun and salt, it's had its day.
My question, it appears that they have used an epoxy on the lip then pushed the gunnel rubber onto it, then screwed thru the gunnel into the lip.
Has anyone replaced there gunnel rubber ?
If so, what alternative did they use rather than an epoxy ? on the flange ?
I recall, that a mate did his years back and just used some sort of bog, cant remember.

cheers
col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Hey Russel,
I only got the boat back yesterday, so now I'm just starting to work thru the things that weren't done as expected.
I'm going to get into it job by job, I have a few new electrical items all ready bought, so I have to get a few more and mount them before I start at the wiring.
Had expected a lot of these things to be done ! But, no use dwelling ! just got to get on with it now.
Firstly, I have to get the internal shelving sanded back and treated as they are wet from being left outside, he was suppose to paint protect them at the same time as coating the floor, the old gel coat was peeling away, so I cant believe he just left it and the list goes on !!!!.
Only one way to get things done, do it yourself me thinks !!!

Cheers

Col

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Mate, if I win powerball tonight, I'll look after you
You went to hell and are not back yet
I don't think I'll ever get a boat, well maybe a Pompeii
Cheers Gra

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm not sure what to say here.
But seems like just real **** luck combined with being super anal about everything only leads to one door...

Well at least it's in your backyard now. Anymore fuckups and you only have yourself to blame..

Let's hope its smooth sailing from now...

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Texas wrote:Mate, if I win powerball tonight, I'll look after you
You went to hell and are not back yet
I don't think I'll ever get a boat, well maybe a Pompeii
Cheers Gra
Geez, I'd luv to win power ball too Tex, that would sure solve some issues.......... :-D

Purple, yep, the thing is, I'm not anal ! if you saw the damage here, including a paint job that looks like its been rolled on !, which is now turning yellow, I ran my hand down the engine well and actually took some skin off with the **** mixed up in the paint job. the surrounding white paint is 30 years old and it looks like night and day colour match, and the 30 year old aged paint, is actually still in good nick.
when your spending near 10k, it ain't anal, its about getting a half decent job done.
I mean, to have a bait well, with skill saw cuts right thru the base of it, which renders it F"@@@en useless with out some serious awkward fibre glassing to fix it, well, it's just crap not anal.
So. I'm up for a re spray, which I'll do myself now and I'll be getting into learning how to fibre glass along the way as well.
I wasn't actually going to do this, but I'll re size another photo and hopefully it comes out and you be the judge on whether i'm being anal or the job was a shocker.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm

IMG_0946.JPG
Hopefully this come out. Now this is the state, of the entire engine well, it was bad lighting in the factory, but you can see the line and difference between that and the hood. It was hard to pick it up in a photo when I took it last nite, What do ya recon ?
something anyone would be proud of sending out ?.

Col

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Looks unfinished.. **** poor

Return to “Boating”