Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Looks like a great spot col.
Enjoy mate :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm currently, lying on a recliner chair on the balcony of a 3 floor apartment in Forster-Tuncurry.
Wondering, what the bloody hell am I suffering Melbourne winters for !.
What an absolute fishing mecca up here, simply beautiful. We drove up to port Mcquarrie yesterday to have a look, 25 degrees, a gentle Zephyr of a breeze gradually ruffling my tee-shirt as we walked around the Marina. :a_goodjob:

Na, certainly has been an eye opener for me, first time I've spent any time up here and completely impressed.
The ramps, the facilities and overall waters up here have blown me away. It only really irks me more now, regarding the facilities on offer here compared to what we don't have down there.
I would have taken some photo;s and posted them up, but I haven't switched my phone on in days and have no intentions of doing so.
The only downer, was cleaning up a large roo in the centre of the road, which damaged the protective fuel tank cowling on her new car, a wee bit of bush mechanics on the side of the road 100 km out of Dubbo seems to be holding up. Geez, it's like road kill heaven on the inland roads, there all out in search of water, poor things, could have been worse, could have been a wombat and could have completely cleaned out the underside of the car.
Reality will sink in tomorrow as we head on back via Sydney.

And I'm so looking forward to returning ! Not.... :-D

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 pm

Sound like you love it there. So jellous

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:53 pm

blacklab99 wrote:I'm currently, lying on a recliner chair on the balcony of a 3 floor apartment in Forster-Tuncurry.
Wondering, what the bloody hell am I suffering Melbourne winters for !.
What an absolute fishing mecca up here, simply beautiful. We drove up to port Mcquarrie yesterday to have a look, 25 degrees, a gentle Zephyr of a breeze gradually ruffling my tee-shirt as we walked around the Marina. :a_goodjob:

Na, certainly has been an eye opener for me, first time I've spent any time up here and completely impressed.
The ramps, the facilities and overall waters up here have blown me away. It only really irks me more now, regarding the facilities on offer here compared to what we don't have down there.
I would have taken some photo;s and posted them up, but I haven't switched my phone on in days and have no intentions of doing so.
The only downer, was cleaning up a large roo in the centre of the road, which damaged the protective fuel tank cowling on her new car, a wee bit of bush mechanics on the side of the road 100 km out of Dubbo seems to be holding up. Geez, it's like road kill heaven on the inland roads, there all out in search of water, poor things, could have been worse, could have been a wombat and could have completely cleaned out the underside of the car.
Reality will sink in tomorrow as we head on back via Sydney.

And I'm so looking forward to returning ! Not.... :-D

Col
I used to live just north of there for a number of years, the lifestyle we have down here just does not compare with whats up there in regards to the types of fishing you can do in such a small area...also the weather in winter was sensational. What a shame there is bugger all industry anyways, enjoy your stay and get down to the local ice creamery in Forster, its a little shop you wont regret it!

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Canned_tuna,
I know that ice cream shop you talk about, been in there a few times !
I'm quite surprised at the building work going on in Forster at the minute, yesterday in port Macquaurie seemed to be the same .
It would definitely be a bit harder getting employment in ones field in places like those, but I guess you would change or try anything if you moved up.
For us, it would be a semi retirement sea change for sure. Forster, while on the cover looks to have more options for boating than port Macquarie, seems to have more of a retirement population. I was quite surprised at the size of port Macquarie.
Has given us food for thought and have already planned to fly up next march and actually do a week in port Macquarie to have a good look around.
If it was up to me, it would be a done deal right now ! BUT, as expected her in doors isn't as impulsive as I am.
That only poses one question canned_tuna,,,, why in hell would you leave here !!!!!!!! lol

Col

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

Yes I ask myself that question fairly often Col... If you get a chance go and have a look at Old Bar, beautiful seaside town which is a bit quieter than the other mainstream towns in summertime. My out laws still live up there so we do visit a couple of times a year. It definitely hurts knowing that I could be chasing marlin every weekend but instead I chase squid :(

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 am

I know good friends in F-T, went there years ago when I was merely a wee boy and went on their cruiser boat. Had zero idea what I was doing using soft plastics for the first time ever and was reeling in bream (let's be honest very easy fish to catch anyhow hehe) one after the other

God it was fun

Makes me want to move there as well

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Kimtown wrote:I know good friends in F-T, went there years ago when I was merely a wee boy and went on their cruiser boat. Had zero idea what I was doing using soft plastics for the first time ever and was reeling in bream (let's be honest very easy fish to catch anyhow hehe) one after the other

God it was fun

Makes me want to move there as well
It was a nice place to stay, would definitely bring a boat next time, But it's definitely a retirement place, one bloke I spoke to said probably 70 % retired population.
It looks like an absolute fishing Mecca, great inlet bay and river areas to fish, with easy access through the bar for off shore.
But I have to admit, Port Macquarie, while it didn't have the same inlet bay areas, had a lot more industry there and it seemed like it was big enough to get work or semi retire there.
We didn't have long in Port Macquarie, so next March we are going to fly up and spend a week and have a good look around there then.
The drive back from up there, even though we stopped over at friends in Sydney, wasn't enjoyable, maybe cause it meant the holiday was ending ! but we did near 4000k over all, so fair over driving now.
But certainly, very enjoyable scoping out some of the beautiful spots up that way........

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:16 pm

IMG_1017.JPG
Have been a tad under the weather over the last month, so got a few hours spare and headed down to at least get one side of the inside of
the boat flow coated. It's a shite of a stuff really and with todays temperature not exactly helpful, just hoping I got the catalyst percentage right !
I shall find out in the morning I guess...

Col

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Nice work

Return to “Boating”