Getting on with boat re-build

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:23 pm

frozenpod wrote:Blue seas gear is very good I am sure you will be happy.

Unless the boat is unattended I see no benefit to auto bilge pump. Most the Auto/manual to run in manual mode the button needs to be held in which is a pain in the arse.

I went back using a on off switch in the main panel and turn it on before bar crossings and when ever the weather gets a bit rough.

The pumps can run dry for many hrs without issue.
Hi Frozen, Yeah a mate put me on to Blue seas gear, it's a bit more expensive, but the quality looks good.
They also supply proper marine terminals, buzz bars etc etc, so it would probably be a one stop shop for me, which makes it easier.

I was tossing up the option re auto bilge, as Blue seas have a specific switch panel, which I believe you can either switch to auto and leave it in that function, or to manual, or to the off position which I'm presuming stops the auto function. If it does indeed give both options at the switch panel, I may get it, piece of mind when nodding off during an over night fish i suppose.
I do leave the boat tied up overnite at two spots I fish, with one place I go it's in the water for 4-5 days at a time, so I do like the fact I can have the option. Always just had a manual switch prior though.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm

smile0784 wrote:I prefer auto bilge pump.

I would always run inline fuses to eash peice of equipment before fuse pannel
Why double fuse ?
If all wires are on separate circuts, running to what ever equipment there wired too are fused individually at the fuse box,
Why put in line fuses in as well ?
Any advantage ?

Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:30 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:I prefer auto bilge pump.

I would always run inline fuses to eash peice of equipment before fuse pannel
Why double fuse ?
If all wires are on separate circuts, running to what ever equipment there wired too are fused individually at the fuse box,
Why put in line fuses in as well ?
Any advantage ?

Col
Sorry didnt mean fuse pannel mean switch pannel

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

A lot of switch panels have fuses in series with each individual switch.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

rb85 wrote:A lot of switch panels have fuses in series with each individual switch.
Hi RB,
The size switch panels that I've found that will fit my old hole and the area on the dash on the other side,
don't come without either, 15 amp circuit breakers ( which are dearer) or blade fuses inbuilt, it's either one or the other, they don't come without.
My intentions were to have one fuse box for all, so it was easier to find, label and trace everything. So, I guess with these switch panels it would eliminate the need for a separate fuse box ?
Or is it standard practice to have both ?
Sorry if this comes across as a basic eleccy question, My skills are very basic when it comes to all things electrickery.
But I'm expecting a huge learning curve quickly approaching !!!

Col

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi Col,
What manufacturer and model switch panel are you using?
Depending on what you are running you could run a fuse panel for accessories such as radio, sounder, gps etc that has their own on off button. Off the fuse panel run a + and - wire to supply your switchpanel. Purchase a negative bus which will be used for everything off your switchpanel. Make sure the conductors are sufficient enough to carry the current required.
Last edited by rb85 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:09 pm

So off the fuse panel you could have a 30 or 40 amp fuse for example supplying the switch panel. Then use the individual fuses inline with the switches for your lights etc.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:31 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blue-Sea-43 ... 1438.l2649

This was the switch panels (2 of) i was going to use, they will fit perfectly in existing hole and I can cut the same hole other side of steering wheel.
These have individual blade fuses in them. which can be varied dependant on what it goes too.
To be honest RB, This is my first re wire, so I will have to get right into it once I get back from holiday ( in 2 weeks) as far as how I wire it up, or design the loom. I'm just tracking down all the other items I need at the minute, new Nav lights, cabin light, LED strip lighting etc, I've pretty well got all the other stuff, deck wash pump, radios finders etc. Once I get back, I'll start to design the loom as far as what configuration it has to be etc.
I was under the impression that I needed a switch panel without circuit breakers or fuses, but by the sounds, with the one above, I can make them work with them being fused. ??

Col

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:43 pm

They are a pretty good panel Col you can definitely make it work with these panels. Sounds like your on the right track.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks RB,
Appreciated............
As mentioned, collecting parts at the minute.

Col

Return to “Boating”