Getting on with boat re-build

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Yep, I was considering all those things.
With the pod in place, there's enough room to get access, the driving side pod will be set back further so as to stand while driving,
with one of those fold up leaning seats, which will also swivel and slide forward to sit, so plenty of room me thinks.
Handset is on an extendable cord,with control features on the hand set, and will probably be clipped above higher somewhere.

If someone, in rough weather, while I'm driving, wants to change the radio channel, I'll grab him by the scruff and flick him overboard !

The radios before, were mounted directly under the dash with a home made aluminium tray set up, wasn't pretty !
They will be mounted near the top of this boxed area, so wont be that much different.
As I was saying, just tinkering with things at the minute and playing around with ideas, sometimes it's better to just make something up, so it's in your face, to see if it will function properly.
All the inside is now pre sanded and ready for flow coating, so once that's done I'll put everything in position and see how it looks.
Either way, I will probably run with the idea, even if it's for fitting a secure lockable glove box type thing, there's no secure storage apart from open
shelves and less options for surface mounting speakers etc etc.

Ply is easy stuff to work with and trial things, who knows what the inside of the boat will look like at the end ! LOL

col
Sounds like you already thought of things
Ia it goi g to impeed your arms when installingthe gear and throttle leaver etc

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:35 pm

The progress is looking good so far mate.
When is the rough estimated time of completion for the entire project? :)

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Lightningx wrote:The progress is looking good so far mate.
Generally it’s 3 times longer than first thought at twice as much $$. Haha.

Good job mate. Enjoying the thread.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Haven't set a time limit on the project .
But, would be hoping to be back on the water next summer (ish).
The main aim is to deck it out for my needs, this is my last boat, so I'm gearing this up to see me thru my retirement....
Have a house to finish renovating and another old Brit bike to finish a re-build on as well, so spare time is scarce.
But the fishing bug is sure creeping back in, So.............

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:19 pm

ducky wrote:
Lightningx wrote:The progress is looking good so far mate.
Generally it’s 3 times longer than first thought at twice as much $$. Haha.

Good job mate. Enjoying the thread.
Ducky, You are 100 % correct mate, never a truer word said !

I think once the weather warms up a tad, and I can flow coat and fibre glass the holes up, It will then move along quickly.
Looking forward to getting on with the fit out, I mean I spent heaps of time stripping the screen out of it, powder coating the frame, putting new perspex in it, then wrapping it up for safe keeping, now it just sits there waiting ! or the new seat boxes and seats, just sitting there !
So the actual fit out will be fun, that's when you notice the dollars going into it, I collected things over a long period........

Col

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:18 am

Thats the fun part putting it all back on and seeing it all come together

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Still to cold to flowcaot.
So on with fitting seat boxes. I got the ram fibre glass ones, I liked there idea of a seperate shaped piece of fibreglass with edges turned up,
The seat box slips over these and you bolt thru the outsides of the seat box. I wont be able to do as they recommend, they urathane and bolt the
bottom plate to the floor, where as I don't have room underneath, the new fuel tank lies below one side and the shape of the hull means I dont have room for bolts on that side as I'll go thru the hull. Mt floor is 12mm thick, so I may be able to put a 12 tex screw thru, but will mainly be relying on prepping the surfaces and relying on Sika.

My question here, is, who else has seat box's fitted ?
tomorrow I'm mocking up the seat box's in position, I got the axes seats from Ch smith, with the front lift up bolster seat, with the swivel/sliding attachment. I very rarely sit while driving, So I need the seat box, far enough back so my heals aren't hindered by it, then, if I do sit and drive, the bolster front goes down and I can slide the seat forward somewhat. I can see that the drivers seat box will probably have to be set slightly further back than the passengers seat. Dunno, will have to play with it tomorrow, So if anyone else has fitted one, how did you go setting yours up.......
cheers in advance

Col

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:51 am

Dont forget a foot rest.
When we lookinh at boats there were a lot that if your feet didnt touch the floor you just dangle your legs

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:35 pm

IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
Ok, had a mock up,
These new seats are not only more comfortable, but with the fold up bolster front, makes a great leaning post for stand up driving.
Was worried I wouldn't have enough room to swivel it,or access to my proposed radio area to the side, but with the bolster up, plenty of room. With the drivers seat box having to be a tad further back than the passengers, for heal room while standing, I've put a swivel/slide underneath.
Played around with my 7" Evo 3, and found it sits nicely in front of the old gauge area, this one will be used soley for interfacing with the outboard for gauges and maps, so was happy with its position, I'm fitting a 9 " Evo 3 up on top in the centre of the dash, which will still be linked with the 7" but easier to see allround.
So, Enough mocking, need the temps to lift a tad so I can get on with flow coating !
Until then, I'm making up 6mm packers out of that bait board material to fit under the rocket launcher on the gunnel and underneath and my huge damn bait board on the back engine well. Until I get to fit the new 4 stroke, I wont know if the bait board has to be modified or not, The old engine couldnt go up fully, now with the transom lifted, I'm picking the new outboard will have an issue,,,, never mind, on it goes and will sort that out when the time comes.........

Col
Attachments
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:38 pm

smile0784 wrote:Dont forget a foot rest.
When we lookinh at boats there were a lot that if your feet didnt touch the floor you just dangle your legs
Put high heels on !
:rofl:

Will be making foot rests up once seat boxes bolted down........

Col

Return to “Boating”