Getting on with boat re-build

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby frozenpod » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Cheers Guys,
Frozen, when you re wired yours, did yours prior or your rewire have an isolation switch for the helm electronics ?.
Mine wiring, while it had been tinkered with, a lot, was original by the looks, non tinned wire, and it was much later I noticed a switch out of site, which I found it completely killed every thing at the helm. ???
I note, I never actually ever used it, but could understand the reason why.....
But wasn't intending to reciprocate it....

Col


Dual batts with isolation switch Off, 1, 2, 1+2 positions.

VSR is in the big boat and I wouldn't get one again, zero gain if you can use your brain over a dual battery isolation switch.



Remove these ads.

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:52 pm

frozenpod wrote:
blacklab99 wrote:Cheers Guys,
Frozen, when you re wired yours, did yours prior or your rewire have an isolation switch for the helm electronics ?.
Mine wiring, while it had been tinkered with, a lot, was original by the looks, non tinned wire, and it was much later I noticed a switch out of site, which I found it completely killed every thing at the helm. ???
I note, I never actually ever used it, but could understand the reason why.....
But wasn't intending to reciprocate it....

Col


Dual batts with isolation switch Off, 1, 2, 1+2 positions.

VSR is in the big boat and I wouldn't get one again, zero gain if you can use your brain over a dual battery isolation switch.


:thumbsup:

cheers Frozen.......

Col

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Received my 2 switch panels today, and I must say that Blue Sea gear looks to be good quality.
Got an Email after I ordered, from the crowd in Perth, then another Email with a contact no from the owner who is currently on holiday in Europe,
who thanked me for the purchase and gave me his contact number and noted an 8 hour delay time, should I need any further assistance in my re wire while he was away !!!!! Geez, I know Blue Sea gear is a tad more expensive, but you pays for what you get I say, but pretty impressed with the service as far as delivery and follow up customer service, got less when i forked out recently for a new car for her in doors !..........

Col

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby rb85 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Dual batts with isolation switch Off, 1, 2, 1+2 positions.

VSR is in the big boat and I wouldn't get one again, zero gain if you can use your brain over a dual battery isolation switch.


Disagree the VSR can help when you have your boat charging rather than have to change the battery your charging over the VSR does it automatically.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby rb85 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:50 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Received my 2 switch panels today, and I must say that Blue Sea gear looks to be good quality.
Got an Email after I ordered, from the crowd in Perth, then another Email with a contact no from the owner who is currently on holiday in Europe,
who thanked me for the purchase and gave me his contact number and noted an 8 hour delay time, should I need any further assistance in my re wire while he was away !!!!! Geez, I know Blue Sea gear is a tad more expensive, but you pays for what you get I say, but pretty impressed with the service as far as delivery and follow up customer service, got less when i forked out recently for a new car for her in doors !..........

Col


Thats bloody good service.

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:14 pm

I't Was brilliant service rb,
I ordered some new Led nav lights which I was hoping would arrive today, so I could have my last tinker before holiday, but didn't arrive.

Only one "Bugga" with the new switches, one I will cut a new hole, no problem,
The other, I miss by 5mm to small, of the new one just slotting into my old hole, so I will have to put some sort of bracket behind the 4 screw holes, instead of Fibre Glassing the old hole smaller, real close, but just missed !!!

I was reading up about the benefits of the VSR switch rb, interesting, I'll have to make my mind up on that when I put my next order in when I get back.
The question originally about a isolation switch, I did have a isolation switch down the back with off and selecting between the batteries, but the one I found up front, purely shut of all supply past the throttle to the helm only, I could still run the motor. Didn't even know it was there, up under the coaming until a mate played with it and shut off everything at the helm. Couldn't really see a need for it, I only ever used the one at the back to switch between batteries while anchored up etc and switching completely off........

Col



Remove these ads.

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm

VSR Switch.
Now, as I'm reading about this, They seem to be saying, that, when the switch is selected to say, battery 1,
with the engine running, battery 2 will be getting charged through the VSR system and vice versa.
OK, I always, when running, having the engine running, trolling or powering somewhere, have it set to "both" position. When I'm anchored, I set it, in my situation, to battery 1. So I'm obviously not running the engine when anchored, SO, would the only benefit then be as you were referring to rb, is hooking up a battery charger, putting switch to either either battery position and it will charge both ? I would have thought just switching to both then putting the charger on one would have done the same ?
I suppose on the water, if you fished all night with lights electronics etc, switched over to start battery, then, if you ran on that alone, the other battery would be charging ???
I have actually, never, had a battery issue before "touch wood"........now I've damn well jinxed myself here !!!

But is that the principal ????

Col

smile0784
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 6982
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby smile0784 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Vsr are for lazy amd forgetful people.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby rb85 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:16 pm

Because nobody makes mistakes smile......
Col not just for charging but if set up correctly will protect your start battery from draining eg if you run equipment thats on your house battery all night like you say the VSR will detect a drop in voltage separating the batteries so you don't drain your start up battery.

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:27 pm

rb85 wrote:Because nobody makes mistakes smile......
Col not just for charging but if set up correctly will protect your start battery from draining eg if you run equipment thats on your house battery all night like you say the VSR will detect a drop in voltage separating the batteries so you don't drain your start up battery.


Yep, got it ! thanks rb.
Definitely nothing lazy about that system ! Can see some advantages there for sure, especially a long day out, plus a stop over for a night fish !
I mean with all and sundry of electronics, lighting, live bait tank etc etc.

cheers, understand now.


Col



Remove these ads.


Return to “Boating”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests